Question Unanswered: Accessing Oracle RAC using JDBC

Hi,
    I need to access the Oracle Real Application Clusters ( RAC ) in my JDBC code.
    What are all the things I have to consider.

Looking for Information.

Thanks & Regards,
    rammy

Ive not done it but it really shouldnt be anything you need to consider. The RAC should seem to jdbs as just an ordinary database. So no changes to the code should be needed.

(All untested so dont take my word for it)

I guess the reason for the question is that you want transparent application failover(TAF) so that if one node fails you switch the transaction to the other node.

If I remeber correctly you will need to use the thick driver to use TAF and you will have to configure some server side stuff like the listener.ora. I think that with 10g the thin driver will also support this but it doesnt currently. Look up TAF in the RAC manuals

Alan

Thanks for your valuable info.
    Do you have any technical white papers or documents link for implementation of an Oracle 9i RAC environment and JDBC connectivity

Thanks in advance.

Be sure and use the JDBC libraries that match the db version (just ftp from one RAC node).

In some testing we had done a few months ago, we found the JDBC thin version we were using did not support redirection required by RAC to support load distribution. We could only connect to a specific node and not any available node.

Goto Oracle technet site for docs on RAC, JDBC etc.

http://otn.oracle.com/index.html

Alan