Unanswered: long path problems in dbca

Hello,

my boss just informed me that there seem to be problems concerning long path names (specifiying locations for datafiles) when using Oracle dbca.

I have not found any information on such a behaviour. Has anybody heard of sth. like this?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

P. Nepper

Question

Any ideas?

try metalink as there should be a bug report if it is an issue. Anyway just avoid long paths if you are worried about it, keep them simple, logical and consistent. Will also make your life easier.

Alan

I will turn to my boss to get the login information for MetaLink.

I am working for a support division which usually is not responsible for Oracle issues. But we have to handle client problems concerning the use of an application that is delivered by our company. Now, due to a swap of versions, our clients have to create a new database instance and we are using dbca templates for that. Some of our clients seem to experience difficulties with long pathnames during the creation of a database instance (beginning from around 15 characters for a path).

If I don't find any information on MetaLink, I will try to reconstruct the error in our testing environment an will get back to this forum.

Thanks a lot,

Patrick

Unfortunately we don't have access to MetaLink and I couldn't find any information on this issue on OTN.

I now have more precise information on my problem:

During the creation of the tablespaces DBCA displays the following error messages:

ORA-01119: error in creating database file '/export/home/ve
    ORA-27040: skgfrcre: create error, unable to create file

The SQL command that led to this error is:

Code:
    CREATE TABLESPACE "HURRICANE_PERM" LOGGING DATAFILE '/export/home/veryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryverylongpath/oradata/PAT4/HURRICANE_PERM01.dbf' SIZE 65M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT  10M MAXSIZE  32767M, '/export/home/veryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryverylongpath/oradata/PAT4/HURRICANE_PERM03.dbf' SIZE 65M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT  10M MAXSIZE  32767M, '/export/home/veryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryverylongpath/oradata/PAT4/HURRICANE_PERM05.dbf' SIZE 65M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT  10M MAXSIZE  32767M, '/export/home/veryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryverylongpath/oradata/PAT4/HURRICANE_PERM07.dbf' SIZE 65M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT  10M MAXSIZE  32767M, '/export/home/veryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryverylongpath/oradata/PAT4/HURRICANE_PERM02.dbf' SIZE 65M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT  10M MAXSIZE  32767M, '/export/home/veryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryverylongpath/oradata/PAT4/HURRICANE_PERM04.dbf' SIZE 65M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT  10M MAXSIZE  32767M, '/export/home/ve
    ryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryverylongpath/oradata/PAT4/HURRICANE_PERM06.dbf' SIZE 65M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT  10M MAXSIZE  32767M, '/export/home/veryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryverylongpath/oradata/PAT4/HURRICANE_PERM08.dbf' SIZE 65M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT  10M MAXSIZE  32767M BLOCKSIZE 8192 EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL UNIFORM SIZE 1024K
    This SQL command is obviously longer than 1024 Bytes. Although ORA-01119 usually means that there is insufficient disk space, I can tell you that this error only occures, when this SQL command exceeds 1024 Bytes.

Do you have any idea on how to increase this "boundary" or any ideas on how to find a workaround?

I already thought of instructing our customers to create shortcut links to those directories with long pathnames and then use those links in DBCA.

What do you think?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Last edited by pNepper; 09-19-03 at 07:17.

Question

Any comments/suggestions?