Unanswered: Database keeps on having to be repaired

We have got a database, there are currently about 8000 records in one of the tables.

We are getting error messages several times a day saying that the database needs to be repaired.

There are about 10 people using the database at any one time, we also run reports from the database in Excel using an ODBC driver.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
    Beth
    Beth

have you split the database into a backend / front end??
    Access XP & WinXP Pro

Originally posted by xander
    have you split the database into a backend / front end??
    Hi - do you mean forms and tables?

The users enter the records through a form - they can't get directly to the table unless they go to Window --> Unhide, but I don't think that they know how to do that.
    Beth

My first guess is that you have one database, i.e., the front and back end are the same. If this is the case, I would consider having a separate front end on each users computer. This should reduce the overall corruption, and errors about not being able to access the database.

I have the same problem where I work. My solution was to have a continual back up of the data using the form's after_update event, and an ado connection to a database on the shared network that people don't know about. That way, if it corrupts, it's real easy to recreate. It is also coupled with the ability to log users out of the database for maintenance.

If you are putting data into Excel, you may want to consider using the Excel Object instead of an ODBC driver. It's a little tougher than just linking a table, but the abstracting you gain is well worth the trade-off.
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.