Unhappy Unanswered: Problems with special german characters

Hello!

I have got a little problem with DB2 Enterprise Edition Version 8.1.0 for Linux when entering special german characters as or , ,
    (I hope they will appear correctly in this message :-)

First, whenn entering a "" within a string there is no problem, but when this character appears at the end befor the quote I get an error message telling a quote is missing. I got a workaround by adding a blank at the end of every string ending with a ""

Second I also get error messages when inserting strings containing umlauts like "", "". "" but teh strange thing is, I could not find any rule when an error appears and when not. I am only sure that it has to do with the umlauts.

It always say something like there is a quote missing

I already tried using an extra quote or a backslash "\" but that did not work.

As I am very new to DB2 I am happy about every hint I get from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Below you will find two different error messages as examples:
    ----------------------
    DB21034E The command was processed as an SQL statement because it was not a
    valid Command Line Processor command. During SQL processing it returned:
    SQL0010N The string constant beginning with "',0,'','')" does not have an
    ending string delimiter. SQLSTATE=42603
    -----------------------
    DB21034E The command was processed as an SQL statement because it was not a
    valid Command Line Processor command. During SQL processing it returned:
    SQL0007N The character "" following "Coburg.de','Viele Gr" is not valid.
    SQLSTATE=42601

Try posting on the comp.databases.ibm-db2 newsgroup. There is an IBM-Germany guy who answers questions there.

Thanx for the hint. I will try ...

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Problems with special german characters

Originally posted by alexander_otto
    First, whenn entering a "" within a string there is no problem, but when this character appears at the end befor the quote I get an error message telling a quote is missing. I got a workaround by adding a blank at the end of every string ending with a ""

Second I also get error messages when inserting strings containing umlauts like "", "". "" but teh strange thing is, I could not find any rule when an error appears and when not. I am only sure that it has to do with the umlauts.

This is happening when you issue commands from the command line processor, I assume.

I think this may have something to do with the database code page being different from the code page used in your OS.

Try issuing "locale charmap" and compare it with the database codepage (db2 get db config for ... | grep "code set").

Nick
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.