Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Forms

Unanswered: Opening Forms

I have a search form with a button that pulls any specific record in..

Now the thing is.. each of these records can have sub-records to them... I want to build an additional button on my search form that says something like "add sub-record" and when the user clicks on the button certain fields from original record goes into a new form .. that way the user will know that the sub-record they are about to enter is going to that orginal record....

I was thinking.. have the code behind button "add sub-record" when clicked open form SUB-REcord then plot data from original record.. then have user fill out the rest of the fields for that sub-record..

how do you open the new form and plot data of oringal record ? I'm fairly new so if you could explain with detail that would be greatly appreciated.

THanks

There are many techniques to accomplish what you are trying to do. What I most often use is the OpenArgs property of a form delimited by semi-colons (when semi-colons are not a subset of the data).

Button on main form uses DoCmd.OpenForm FormName:=YourFormName, OpenArgs:=Create Your Data Here.

The Open method of the subform checks for the OpenArgs, if not isnull(Me.OpenArgs), then decompile the delimited string with the Function Split or iteratively use Instr and Mid.

Because you control the OpenArgs from the DoCmd.OpenForm, you always know what order they are in, thus you can set the values on the new form.
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.

Thanks Mike.. I'll give this a try..

Angry

I keep on getting an error ... compile error : invalid qualifier... on my second form..

my 2nd form is called.. "frmAddInspec" with 3 text fields "Text1,Text2.Text3" all string

My first form.. the values that I want over on my second form are..
    "Project,Area,Reference"

My code behind the cmd button of first form is..

Code:
    Private Sub Command11_Click()
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmAddInspec", OpenArgs:=Project & ";" & Area & ";" & Reference

End Sub
    My code for my second form.. in the open event handler is...

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
    Dim Project As String
    Dim Area As String
    Dim Reference As String
    Dim Iloc1 As Integer
    Dim iLoc2 As String
    Dim strArgs As String
    Dim Text1, Text2, Text3 As String

strArgs = Me.OpenArgs & ""

If Len(strArgs) > 0 Then
     Iloc1 = InStr(strArgs, ";")
     If Iloc1 > 0 Then
        Project = Left$(strArgs, Iloc1 - 1)
        Text1.Text = Project
        iLoc2 = InStr(Iloc1 + 1, strArgs, ";")
        Area = Mid$(strArgs, Iloc1 + 1, iLoc2 - Iloc1 - 1)
        Text2.Text = Area
        Reference = Mid$(strArgs, iLoc2 + 1)
        Text3.Text = Reference                        //////////////// error here
     End If
    End If
    End Sub

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong..

Thanks

Try changing your variables names by prepending them with the type of variable they are. For ex strReference instead of Reference. My guess is that because 'Reference' is an Access reserved word, it's getting confused as to what you want to do.

On a separate note, to avoid the math behind InStr and Mid (I'm sure it's working for you, I personally don't like adding and subtracting as I always get it wrong the first time), you may want to look at the Split function. It's kinda neat.
    Mike.

I dont understand it... I'm still getting the same error.. and its pointing to the same spot...

try this:

docmd.OpenForm "Form_frmAddInspec"

I did this

Code:
    DoCmd.OpenForm "Form_frmAddInspec", OpenArgs:=strProject & ";" & strArea & ";" & strReference

End Sub

and got an error.. it states that it can't find the form.. or the form doesnt exist.. I know for certain the form is there.. I just double check.. it is there and that is how i spelt it to..

Usu when you make named references, if you specify one, you specify 'em all, i.e.,

DoCmd.OpenForm FormName:="Form_frmAddInspec", OpenArgs:=strProject & ";" & strArea & ";" & strReference

End Sub

Either that or you use absolute references and omit paramters if you don't need 'em, i.e.,

DoCmd.OpenForm "Form_frmAddInspec", , , , , , strProject & ";" & strArea & ";" & strReference
    Mike.

mike,

I tired something else.. I tired to reference the fields.. by putting me.text1..etc.. I get a different error.. I dont know if I'm fixing or making the problem worst..

thanks

--------------------------------------------------------

run-time error 2185
    You can't reference a property or method for a control unless the control has the focus..

-------------------------------------------------------

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
    Dim strProject As String
    Dim strArea As String
    Dim strReference As String
    Dim Iloc1 As Integer
    Dim iLoc2 As String
    Dim strArgs As String
    Dim Text1, Text2, Text3 As String

strArgs = Me.OpenArgs & ""

If Len(strArgs) > 0 Then
        Iloc1 = InStr(strArgs, ";")
        If Iloc1 > 0 Then
            strProject = Left$(strArgs, Iloc1 - 1)
            Me.Text1.Text = strProject
            iLoc2 = InStr(Iloc1 + 1, strArgs, ";")
            strArea = Mid$(strArgs, Iloc1 + 1, iLoc2 - Iloc1 - 1)
            Me.Text2.Text = strArea
            strReference = Mid$(strArgs, iLoc2 + 1)
            MsgBox strReference  ' testing only
            Me.Text3.Text = strReference
        End If
    End If
    End Sub
    mike,

also the code you gave me above.. still gives me the same error.. both of them.. thanks

Can you zip and post the db? I'll take a look at it for you. If there is proprietary data in there, you can either jumble or get rid of it. This should strictly be a VBA issue, but keep the table structure intact.
    Mike.

sure mike I can .zip it up... thanks so much for your time...

the form that I'm trying to get to work now is.. frmsearch "addinspec" button

thanks again mike

can you see the file mike ? I added it on but i dont see it.. let me kn0w .. i'll send it to your e-mail or something..

thanks

Originally posted by TonyT
    I did this

Code:
    DoCmd.OpenForm "Form_frmAddInspec", OpenArgs:=strProject & ";" & strArea & ";" & strReference

End Sub

and got an error.. it states that it can't find the form.. or the form doesnt exist.. I know for certain the form is there.. I just double check.. it is there and that is how i spelt it to..
    Try opening the form without the arguments after the commas, to see if it open up. I just did a sample form, you do'nt need the word Form in front of frmAddInspec. Just Docmd.OpenForm "frmAddInspec"
    Last edited by lansing; 09-17-03 at 13:47.

Originally posted by TonyT
    mike,

I tired something else.. I tired to reference the fields.. by putting me.text1..etc.. I get a different error.. I dont know if I'm fixing or making the problem worst..

thanks

--------------------------------------------------------

run-time error 2185
    You can't reference a property or method for a control unless the control has the focus..

-------------------------------------------------------

just set YOURTextNAME.setfocus before reference to the texbox