Unanswered: Configuring Listener.ora and Tnsnames.ora

Can someone give me the idiot's guide to these files? I'm not clear on their use and what needs to be configured in them. Do I simply list all the db's on the server in these two files? Or do I need to list db's on external servers? Or both? What processes use them? Or simply point me to some decent doc on the subject.

THANKS!

You have to list local database in LISTENER.ora.
    The tnsname.ora is used for Clients and describe all bases the client is autorized to see.

Dummy Guide for the 2 files

Kindly go through the following link, and it explains at great details the two files, and various other important concepts in Oracle architecture.

http://www.engin.umich.edu/caen/wls...55/tnsnames.htm

Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh

Re: Configuring Listener.ora and Tnsnames.ora

Hi,
    This is how listener.ora and tnsnames.ora work.

Pre assumption : Client and Sever are on different PCs
    When u try to connect through SQL Plus(scott/tiger@connectstring) what Oracle does is is read the tnsnames.ora file which is located in the client machine in Orahome/bin/network/admin/tnsnames.ora.The tnsnames.ora file lists the name of the connect strings where the client has the capability to connect to.When it finds a match it reads the name of the server(where it should connect to),the protocol it should use(TCP) and the port on which a listener is listening.(default 1521).When it finds a match it goes to the relevant server and knocks on the port 1521 where the listener is waiting to hear in coming calls.Now the listener checks it own files(listener.ora which is located in the server itself) and matches it with the incoming call request.If it matches u are given an entery and a session is created....

Cheers,
    Pinaki

Originally posted by jayharper
    Can someone give me the idiot's guide to these files? I'm not clear on their use and what needs to be configured in them. Do I simply list all the db's on the server in these two files? Or do I need to list db's on external servers? Or both? What processes use them? Or simply point me to some decent doc on the subject.

THANKS!

Re: Dummy Guide for the 2 files

Originally posted by aruneeshsalhotr
    Kindly go through the following link, and it explains at great details the two files, and various other important concepts in Oracle architecture.

http://www.engin.umich.edu/caen/wls...55/tnsnames.htm

Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh
    Thanks to everyone. It is clearer now. I still would like to see some detailed doc on the subject. <b> aruneeshsalhotr </b> - your link does not work!

Hi,

Try http://www.orafaq.net/faqnet.htm

It should have a good guide on this topic.

Rgs,
    Breen.