Question Unanswered: db2 v8.1 client setup

Hello,

I was asked to set up db2 client on a solaris box to access a database on an as400. I downloaded what I think is the solaris developer kit that is supposed to have the client. The download was called GA_ADCL dated 2/8/2003. I installed it on the solaris box. It put the program in /opt/IBM/db2/V8.1. I do not see any db2setup program. I find in /opt/IBM/db2/V8.1/instance a db2isetup that created a user (although it says failed for instance. I see in /opt/IBM/db2/V8.1/cfg a db2profile that needs options set. I am unclear as to what steps I need to take to get this client ready so I can do the db2 catalog commands. Can somebody explain what I need to do next (even better provide setup steps)?

David

Re: db2 v8.1 client setup

If you are connecting to AS/400, you will need DB2 Connect (You will have to pay for this product if you intend to use in production) ...

Have a look at the quick beginnings guide for installation steps ... You can download the same from the ibm website .. Refer to the link in 'Useful db2 stuff' thread ...

After you install, follow the links in the same guide to create the client instane and cataloging the AS/400 database ... A client instance can be created using the db2icrt command in the instance directory under the installation structure ....

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by shapi003
    Hello,

I was asked to set up db2 client on a solaris box to access a database on an as400. I downloaded what I think is the solaris developer kit that is supposed to have the client. The download was called GA_ADCL dated 2/8/2003. I installed it on the solaris box. It put the program in /opt/IBM/db2/V8.1. I do not see any db2setup program. I find in /opt/IBM/db2/V8.1/instance a db2isetup that created a user (although it says failed for instance. I see in /opt/IBM/db2/V8.1/cfg a db2profile that needs options set. I am unclear as to what steps I need to take to get this client ready so I can do the db2 catalog commands. Can somebody explain what I need to do next (even better provide setup steps)?

David
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Post Re: db2 v8.1 client setup

I just want to verify this 100%. To have the client connect to the as/400 db we can't use the client without getting the db2 connect gateway? Also, was the download that I did wrong, or did I get the right file?

David

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    If you are connecting to AS/400, you will need DB2 Connect (You will have to pay for this product if you intend to use in production) ...

Have a look at the quick beginnings guide for installation steps ... You can download the same from the ibm website .. Refer to the link in 'Useful db2 stuff' thread ...

After you install, follow the links in the same guide to create the client instane and cataloging the AS/400 database ... A client instance can be created using the db2icrt command in the instance directory under the installation structure ....

HTH

Sathyaram

You may use a gateway(Connect Enterprise Edition) or Connect Personal Edition, but you will need DB2 Connect to communicate with the AS/400 box ...

I'm not sure what you downloaded, but ADCL sounds application development client to me ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Post Re: db2 v8.1 client setup

Gosh, I hate to send this next question, but I am not sure from your answer the answer. Is ADCL, therefore, what i need as a db2 client? Why is it that a developer here was able using the windows db2 client (odbc) to connect to the as400 without the db2connect?

David

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    You may use a gateway(Connect Enterprise Edition) or Connect Personal Edition, but you will need DB2 Connect to communicate with the AS/400 box ...

I'm not sure what you downloaded, but ADCL sounds application development client to me ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram

I don't have an answer to how people are able to acces as400 without db2 connect ...

Maybe, your company is using some other software to do the same ... I have heard there are some non-IBM stuff with the same funcionality as DB2 Connect ...

Well, my guess is that you have downloaded Application Development Client ... You can use this to communicate with DB2 on Unix/Windows and to DB2 connect gateways ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by shapi003
    Gosh, I hate to send this next question, but I am not sure from your answer the answer. Is ADCL, therefore, what i need as a db2 client? Why is it that a developer here was able using the windows db2 client (odbc) to connect to the as400 without the db2connect?

David

Hi,

I am also trying to setup db2 client in our HP box in order for our Perl programs (using the DBD-DB2 module) to access the remote databases in AS400 machine. However, every time I run the "db2" command it would return with the following error message,

SQL10007N Message -1390 could not be retrieved. Reason code: 6.

I've contacted IBM support regarding this but the progress is somehow fairly slow. I am trying here to see if the nice guys in this forum can help me to find out the anwser more quickly.

David, I found your case below which is very similar to what I'm trying to do at the moment. If you're still around, wondering have you found out the right procedure to setup db2 client and whether you can share your experience with me? Like your case, I installed the ADCL kit (Application Development Client) onto the HP box, however I'm not sure whether other software components such as "DB2 Connect" mentioned by Sathyaram is still required or not.

Anyone else get any idea please give me a shout.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Philip

Philip
    Recently I understood that all Version 8 clients can communicate with the mainframe or as400, technically speaking ... This is because all V8 clients use DRDA to connect to the database ... Till V7, only DB2 Connect, used DRDA ...

But, to access mainframe or as400, you will have to pay a license fee to IBM ...

Have you been successful in using the same db2 client from any other workstation ??

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Quote Originally Posted by sathyaram_s
    Philip
    Recently I understood that all Version 8 clients can communicate with the mainframe or as400, technically speaking ... This is because all V8 clients use DRDA to connect to the database ... Till V7, only DB2 Connect, used DRDA ...

But, to access mainframe or as400, you will have to pay a license fee to IBM ...

Have you been successful in using the same db2 client from any other workstation ??

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    While connecting to the DB2 on an AS400 machine, the program would always abort with the following message,

SQL8002N Connect processing failed; a valid product license was not found.
    SQLSTATE=42968

Is it what you mean by I must pay a license fees to IBM?

I was actually talking to IBM support this afternoon and they mentioned I will need another product called "DB2 Connect" for connections towards DB2 on AS400 machines.

I'm a bit confused, so does it mean when connecting to non-AS400 DB2s, only the ADCL kit is required. When connecting to DB2 on AS400, I'll need ADCL *and* DB2-Connect?

Question Clarifications.

Hi,

Sathyaram has given the perfect explanation however just to clarify your last point

Please find my explanation below :-

Non AS400/OS390 Flavour - These include the LUW versions i.e Linux, Windows and Unix versions. Here the vastly used protocol is TCPIP or NETBIOS depending on what your network supports. In this case the DB2 Clients can directly access the server and depending on the authentication we can access the database. Hence only the ADCL will work as the client calls are compatible with the server calls (i.e the internal intrepretaiton mechanism) so we do not need DB2 Connect.

AS400/OS390 Flavor - This is specific to Mainframes, since mainframes work on a different mechanism of authentication and access we do not have any direct calls to them. Hence we need a middle layer that would help in doing the authentication and parsing of calls to the Database Server residing on that server as the calls to and fro will be of a different nature. That is why you need something in the middle which is known as DB2 Connect this can be termed as the intepreter.

DB2 Connect is a different product provided by IBM hence you will have to buy/procure it in case you intend to use it on production systems. That's what IBM Said.

Since you are already using DB2 Connnect what sathyaram means is that to make it an official product to use you need to pay IBM the charges (License Fees) for the same.

I am sorry, I have been too elaborate I think but I hope things do become are clear now coz very soon I also would have to start working on Main Frames.
    HTH

Nitin

Ask the experienced rather than the learned

Quote Originally Posted by nitingm
    Hi,

Non AS400/OS390 Flavour - These include the LUW versions i.e Linux, Windows and Unix versions. Here the vastly used protocol is TCPIP or NETBIOS depending on what your network supports. In this case the DB2 Clients can directly access the server and depending on the authentication we can access the database. Hence only the ADCL will work as the client calls are compatible with the server calls (i.e the internal intrepretaiton mechanism) so we do not need DB2 Connect.

AS400/OS390 Flavor - This is specific to Mainframes, since mainframes work on a different mechanism of authentication and access we do not have any direct calls to them. Hence we need a middle layer that would help in doing the authentication and parsing of calls to the Database Server residing on that server as the calls to and fro will be of a different nature. That is why you need something in the middle which is known as DB2 Connect this can be termed as the intepreter.

DB2 Connect is a different product provided by IBM hence you will have to buy/procure it in case you intend to use it on production systems. That's what IBM Said.

Since you are already using DB2 Connnect what sathyaram means is that to make it an official product to use you need to pay IBM the charges (License Fees) for the same.
    TCP/IP is also a supported protocol for AS400, I just don't understand why DB2-Connect as an extra communication layer is required on top of ADCL while the other server platforms don't !!! Is this really a technical or business issue?

I'm actually trying to access remote DB2 databases hosted in AS400 from an HP-UX machine using Perl DBI calls. I must say that the client side setup for DB2 is confusing based on all relevant posts I found throughout the past week. Until today, I'm still unsure whether I need ADCL, DB2-Connect, or both together in order to make connections to the remote databases in AS400 !!! This is so disappointing in contrast to the Perl DBI interface to Sybase servers which I got it working in the first day I attempted it.

Back to my question, can someone please confirm the followings are all needed in the client side when connecting remote databases in AS400,

1. DB2 Application Development Client
    2. DB2 Connect
    Last edited by chanpcw; 07-21-04 at 11:00.

To keep it simple

You need DB2 Connect to access AS400 DB2 Databases from a Windows or Unix clients

Cheers
    Sathyaram

I believe that DB2/400 is included for free as part of the AS400 operating system, so that may be the reason why a license for DB2 Connect is required to access it from remote clients.

Originally, there were also some issues relating to DRDA (Distributed Relational Database Architecture) that DB2 Connect provided, but DB2 Version 8 clients now use DRDA to talk to servers.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390