Thread: Cache table

Post Unanswered: Cache table

O/S : AIX 5.x
    DB : UDB V7.2

Hi: Is there a way to know if a request to select data from table is being picked up from cache or from disk-cache combination. I am in the process of fine tunning some of our database systems and wondering if I can found out this information somewhere i.e. through a monitor or snapshot.

Thanks in advance.

dollar

Re: Cache table

I think you can do, a sort of but .....

You can look at bufferpool logical/physical reads in the tablespace snapshot .... This may give you an idea ...

But in realtime, the bufferpool may be used by other tables in the tablespace and your table may be flushed out ... If you want this table in the bufferpool always, put this table in an individual tablespace and a bufferpool exclusively for this tablespace ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by dollar489
    O/S : AIX 5.x
    DB : UDB V7.2

Hi: Is there a way to know if a request to select data from table is being picked up from cache or from disk-cache combination. I am in the process of fine tunning some of our database systems and wondering if I can found out this information somewhere i.e. through a monitor or snapshot.

Thanks in advance.

dollar
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

First you need to set the bufferpool monitoring to "on" at the server. Be advised that this uses extra overhead, so set it to “off” on a production system after you are done.

db2 update monitor switches using bufferpool on

Then you can monitor the bufferpool usage with a monitor tool. I have been using the 3rd party monitor tool (free) provided at http://chuzhoi_files.tripod.com/ (as listed in the Useful DB2 Stuff).

When using the 3rd party tool above, Select Bufferpools from the Monitor pull down menu. You can hit the refresh after each SQL query that is run, or use auto-refresh at the selected interval.

Keep in mind that in DB2 terminology, the data and indexes are stored in "bufferpools." Cache is storage used for all other things such as packages, catalog, etc.

I sometimes use the “Lazy-DBA Monitor” when working on (or next to) the database server. I just watch the disk I/O light of the server.