Richmond, CA

Question Unanswered: joining tables in paradox 10

I would like any information (besides the "help" menu) on joining tables in paradox 10. I am just learning how to manage multiple databases and the current dba is out on personal leave. I am stuck with this project and have a deadline.

Could someone help me out. I have the basics down creating a join in visual query builder but I am unfamiliar with Paradox.

Bologna - Italy
    You're not being very clear about the problem; can you please be more specific?

The only failure is not trying to do it.

Simply click on the query icon and start a new query.

Add the tables to the query.

Move to the fields you want to link the tables with and hit 'F5' and then type any thing "joinA" for all tables you wish to join by that field repeat the 'F5' "joinA". If you want to use mulitple fields, the different joins must have different example elements ('joinA', 'JoinB' etc.)

That's it in a nutshell. Hitting 'F5' puts the database in creating an example element mode. What you type is the example element used to join tables by matching fields.

As the other respondent noted, tables are joined by:

(a) Adding each desired table to the query. (You may have to re-size the window to see more than two.)

(b) Using "example elements" to show what fields are in common.

Example-elements show up as red text. You can use the "link tables" button (click in one field then the other) or you can press [F5] and type in the text. The name of the element can be anything you want as long as it's unique and as long as it occurs twice.

There are esoterica like the "!" operator but let's leave that puppy alone for now...

Basically, when Paradox sees an example-element it knows to find all the matching rows between the two tables: the same value occurs in each. So it goes out and finds those matching rows, and filters down the query-results using whatever other criteria you've specified. The result is an answer-table just like any other query.

?? Don't Panic! And feel free to ask your questions here. We've all Been There, Done That. Glad to help.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the