Unanswered: New to Oracle - ORA- 12545 Connection failed...

Hi all,

I am brand new to Oracle so I appologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

I just installed Oracle9i Release 1 (9.0.1) Standard on Windows XP Professional.

After the install was complete, I opened the Oracle Enterprise Manager Console. I added a database to the tree manually and entered the following information:

Hostname: orcl.world
    Port Number: 1521
    SID: orcl
    Net Service Name: orcl_orcl.world

When I try to expand the newly created database node, the Database Connect Information dialogue box opens and I enter the following info:

Username: system
    Password: oracle
    Service: ORCL_ORCL.WORLD
    Connect as: Normal

After pressing the Ok button I receive the following error message:

"ORA- 12545 Connection failed because target host or object does not exist."

I know almost nothing about network configuration and I am only familier with Windows (and like I said, I am completely new to Oracle).

Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this issue? Also, does anyone know of any good resources on the net for very novice Oracle users like myself?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Talking

Hi buddy...
    This error is a very common error...ORA-12154...What u need to do is use Net Configuration Assistant which comes with Oracle 9iDS...Just follow the steps and yuo will be able to connect to the DB.Alternatively u can also manually modify the tnsnames.ora file...

cheers,
    pinaki

Thanks!

I'll give that a try and see what happens.