Conceptual Data Model

New to database design. Would appreciate feedback on a conceptual data model before going further. Attached file contains model with draft business rules. This is for a simple donor management application. Thanks for the review.

RDCD
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Nonprofit Access User

Makeing the relationship between non profit donors and capital pledges as a 1:1 seems a little strange to me. Can you think of a situation where a donor would make more than one pledge OR one pledge be made by more than one donor? If so set up the One-To-Many.

Pledge billing and Capital_Payments seem to be one table not two.

But other than that it seems fine.

Thing about each table as a main form with the many table(s) as subforms listing all the many parts. Does the form in your head make sense? If it does then you are likely on the right track.

Without both eliments and atributes it is hard to see what you are thinking about.

Does that help?
    Matt the Hat says: "what!?"
    A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!
    SCARY HARD CHALLENGE: http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=988682

Conceptual Data Model

Matt...thanks for your response. I hope you won't mind reviewing this a bit further. In response to your suggestion, Pledge billing and Capital_Payments seem to be one table not two, I've provided the attributes from these tables to see if I should combine these. Theoretically, an invoice should generate a payment, but some pledges may never be paid, so I am anticipating some nulls. If the tables were combined, it might look something as follows.

Pledge Payment Details
    pledge_billing_id (PK)
    pledge_id (FK)
    pledge_calendar_yr
    pledge_billing_date
    pledge_amount
    pledge_notes
    payment_received_date
    payment_amt_received
    gift_contribution_type

Capital giving usually spans a five year period with donor payment frequency and amounts designated by the donor at the time of the pledge, so typically multiple billing records will be created for a single donor. Some may even choose to be billed multiple times per year. The pledge fields get populated early on while payments fields will be null until payment is received. Am I on the right track?

Thanks again.

RDCD
    Nonprofit Access User