Unanswered: dynamic? field creation

In a club database I want to allow the "main" user (not with full Admin rights) to have some customization of basic "rules".
    As part of this I would like that person to define what Benefits are available for what membership level (3-5 levels). The number of benefits would be apprx. 10-15 and would be defined by the main user.
    How can I structure a form/code so that this user can add the 10-15 fields (checkboxes, likely)? When each membership level record is displayed on the form it would show all of the (user-defined) fields that could then be appropriately checked for that level.

e.g.
    tblMembershipLevel would include Full Membership, Spring Membership, Fall Membership, Full Social Membership, Social Fall Membership, etc.

I want to be able to have the main user add/customize yes/no “Benefit” fields such as: Full Voting Privileges, Discounts on club items, Membership Card Issued, Free Yearbook, etc. depending upon his club's rules.

Can I make a tblBenefits (which would include a BenefitName field) and for each record in this table, and add a field to the tblMembership for each BenefitName?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    --JQ Smith

Do these rules effect the database and forms?
    Matt the Hat says: "what!?"
    A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!
    SCARY HARD CHALLENGE: http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=988682

I'm not sure what you are asking, but...
    These new fields should not affect the DB or forms (other than the Admin/Preference area form for Membership/Benefits). The fields will not be used as Primary keys or indexes, or otherwise have to be linked anywhere.

I did see another application that does a similar task, though not as completely as I would like. It would use a set number of fields, say "Benefit 1" through "Benefit 20", that I would establish (in the membership table). The labels would be able to be changed by the main user (though I am not quite sure how at this point). This seems workable too, but I would still need a little guidance maybe. It feels like an easier to accomplish process.

Thanks for your interest...

These are not DB or table Rules. They are more of business rules.

Originally posted by johnqzsmith
    These are not DB or table Rules. They are more of business rules.
    Ok I think I understand.

You would like to have customisable sets of Y/N's which are also customisable.

Is that about the long and short of it?

I would like to have fields which are yes/no (checkbox) which have either dynamically assigned field names/labels or dynamically assigned label names on the forms where the data is entered. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "...are also customizable".

Originally posted by Matt_T_hat
    Ok I think I understand.

You would like to have customisable sets of Y/N's which are also customisable.

Is that about the long and short of it?

Earth | North America | United States | California | Long Beach

Re: dynamic? field creation

Originally posted by johnqzsmith
    I want to be able to have the main user add/customize yes/no “Benefit” fields such as: Full Voting Privileges, Discounts on club items, Membership Card Issued, Free Yearbook, etc. depending upon his club's rules.

Can I make a tblBenefits (which would include a BenefitName field) and for each record in this table, and add a field to the tblMembership for each BenefitName?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    --JQ Smith
    Are the benefits offered fixed? Or does each club have its own set of unique benefits? And do you want the users to have the ability to add new benefits?

Jack

Re: dynamic? field creation

Originally posted by Jaash
    Are the benefits offered fixed? NO
    Or does each club have its own set of unique benefits? YES (similar, but not the same)
    And do you want the users to have the ability to add new benefits? YES

Jack

Ok fantastic there are those gifted at understanding me!

[Rules]-<[List]>-[Club]

So One Club has many rules in its list
    Many lists may contain the same rule

Table: Rules
    Rule_ID
    RuleName
    ...etc

Table: List
    Club_ID (FK)
    Rule_ID (FK)

Note no primary key (not needed)

From a form design point of view it would allow a main form (Club Stuff) to have a sub for (Rules List) where The sum form is set to Datasheet View. Hide the Club_ID field and convert the Rule_ID to a combo box Row source = Rules, bound to column 1 (Primary Key Col) Under FORMAT Colums = 2, Column widths = 0cm;3cm

Now you are selecting rules by name for each club...

Is that broadly what you were trying to do?

I have attached a demo file that explains what I mean.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hat Matt:
    This sounds like we're getting closer. I will look at your example and get back to you. I may not be able to do that right away. Leaving for out of town unexpectedly right away.

Be back soon. Thanks for the assistance.
    --JQ