Question Unanswered: installing MYSQL

I am new to MYSQL. I am trying to install mysql database server and create a small database. However I don't know what I should do next after I ran the executable file(setup.exe that is unzipped from mysql-4.0.15-win.zip). Could you give me some direction on installation and connection to a mysql database server?

Thanks!
    Heidi

Re: installing MYSQL

Heidi

I am in exactly the same boat. Desperate is not the word. Sorry not much help, but hopefully someone will reply.

What operating system are you on? I am windows 98 and have downloaded mysql 3.23.54

Lee

Red face Driver 3.51 NOT FOUND (mySql Win98)

Hi Guys

I've just downloaded MySql on Windows 98 and all seemed well except that I get the error above in myodbc and the command window seems to have disapeared. When I start the GUI is comes up momentarily but after that i don't know where it's gone. I've only worked on a Unix platform before so this windows stuff is a bit confusing but I'm guessing that it isn't that different and that the command window should be up there waiting for my SQL commands. If I'm being thick then please someone let me know!

Mist
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stephportrait.gif  

Alright folks heres what you do:

heidil90 and leeolive:

1 After Mysql installs to your hard drive go to your mysql bin folder and run the program "winmysqladmin"; Follow the prompts
    2 Click my.ini setup and edit it as you like
    3 Next right click on the traffic light (you should see Win NT or Win 9x... not sure about the 9x) on NT click "Install the service" and that should be it. For Windows 9x it should be very similar... I know 9x supports services (in a very primitive format and not like that of NT... don't believe me? I'll show you the registry keys ) but I'm not sure if MySQL will run like that... anyway if you can't get it to run like that then I'm sure you can just run a binary or something... Good Luck

Mistress:
    Check in the lower right hand corner of your screen. You should see a little traffic light (should be on green or red) right click on this and select show tool. (That's the tool you were talking about disappearing) (Also don't worry about the NOT FOUND DRIVER 3.51... I get the same thing too but it works just fine)

Next, to get to your home (the CLI) click:
    1 START Button> RUN > command (or cmd in NT)
    2 CD to the folder you have mysql in
    3 type 'mysql' to get to the mysql CLI then you can do what you need to

First you have to add mysql path to your path in order to use it with the cli.
    on Windows 98 you have to modify your autoexecute.bat
    add c:\mysql\bin to your path
    On Nt you need to use env var tools

Start mysql with console (mysqld-XXX --console) or use it as a service mysqld-XXX --install

Know you can start to play with mysql using mysql program
    Olivier Miossec
    --
    http://www.lasso-developpeur.net/
    --

Cheers

Thanks guys will give it a go and let you know if it works

M