Thread: Oracle Unix ID

Question Unanswered: Oracle Unix ID

Hi Gurus,

The Oracle DB for Unix creates a single oracle unix id which can manage multiple databases and versions in a single machine. Is this there a way where we can create say two DBs using 8i and 9i and be able to have two oracle unix IDs. The oracle unix IDs should be exclusive to its own DB. Can this be done?
    Last edited by tangcov; 09-18-03 at 17:45.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1

Re: Oracle Unix ID

Originally posted by tangcov
    Hi Gurus,

The Oracle DB for Unix creates a single oracle unix id which can manage multiple databases and versions in a single machine. Is this there a way where we can create say two DBs using 8i and 9i and be able to have two oracle unix IDs. The oracle unix IDs should be exclusive to its own DB. Can this be done?
    YES

How can we do it?

Originally posted by tangcov
    How can we do it?
    Create two UNIX id's, install oracle 8i as one UNIX id and install oracle 9i as the other UNIX ID.

The biggest hassle is maintaining oraInst.loc. This file is in a default location, depending on UNIX version, and points to the inventory location for all oracle products. Make sure both users have full access to this file. After doing the first install, comment out the lines entered in this file, making sure to add comments about which install those lines belong to.

Commenting out the lines makes the file effectively empty. Then do the other install as the second UNIX id. Again, make sure to add comments to oraInst.loc indicating which install they are for.

Anytime you need to do another install or patch, make sure the relevant lines are uncommented and the others commented out.

HTH,
    Patrick

Originally posted by buckeye234
    Create two UNIX id's, install oracle 8i as one UNIX id and install oracle 9i as the other UNIX ID.

The biggest hassle is maintaining oraInst.loc. This file is in a default location, depending on UNIX version, and points to the inventory location for all oracle products. Make sure both users have full access to this file. After doing the first install, comment out the lines entered in this file, making sure to add comments about which install those lines belong to.

Commenting out the lines makes the file effectively empty. Then do the other install as the second UNIX id. Again, make sure to add comments to oraInst.loc indicating which install they are for.

Anytime you need to do another install or patch, make sure the relevant lines are uncommented and the others commented out.

HTH,
    Patrick
    Hello,

Thank you for your advise. I just want to clarify this further. We would like to have two oracle unix ids belonging to the dba group but mutually exclusive. Meaning the 8i Oracle unix ID cannot access the 9i DB even when both unix IDs belong to the Unix DBA group.

Originally posted by buckeye234

HTH,
    Patrick
    Can you advise me how or what is the best way to maintain the oraInst.loc? How do I ensure that both users have full access to it?