Unhappy Unanswered: ORA-01078 at STARTUP - Win2k - Oracle 9i

Hi,

I'm trying to create an Oracle 9i database under Win2k Server.

I've installed Oracle, created the directory structure, created the instance with oradim, and the password file with orapwd. Finally I've set ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME and run SQL*Plus to execute my create script.

However, when I try to start the database (STARTUP NOMOUNT PFILE=<myInitFilePath>), I get the following error :
    "ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters"
    with no further explanation.

I've found additional information in the .trc files in ora92/rdbms/trace :

==8<==
    *** 2003-09-18 11:46:44.000
    ksedmp: internal or fatal error
    ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [733], [544043568], [pga heap], [], [], [], [], []
    Current SQL information unavailable - no SGA.
    ==8<==

I've already tried to re-install the whole server but I still get the same error.
    This install used to work when I had a single RAID-5 volume. The only difference now is that I've split my disk array into two RAID volumes (RAID-5 and RAID-1) in order to put my control files and redo logs on a different volume. Could it be the issue?

Thanks

Hi there,

The Oracle server is probably not able to find the pfile in the given location or the parameter values in that file not proper.

As the error message there is no sga available. That means your instance itself is not up.

Oracle 9i by default looks for spfile in it's default dir. Why don't u try just giving startup and see

Hope this helps

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1

Re: ORA-01078 at STARTUP - Win2k - Oracle 9i

Originally posted by g.abitbol
    Hi,

I'm trying to create an Oracle 9i database under Win2k Server.

I've installed Oracle, created the directory structure, created the instance with oradim, and the password file with orapwd. Finally I've set ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME and run SQL*Plus to execute my create script.

However, when I try to start the database (STARTUP NOMOUNT PFILE=<myInitFilePath>), I get the following error :
    "ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters"
    with no further explanation.

I've found additional information in the .trc files in ora92/rdbms/trace :

==8<==
    *** 2003-09-18 11:46:44.000
    ksedmp: internal or fatal error
    ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [733], [544043568], [pga heap], [], [], [], [], []
    Current SQL information unavailable - no SGA.
    ==8<==

I've already tried to re-install the whole server but I still get the same error.
    This install used to work when I had a single RAID-5 volume. The only difference now is that I've split my disk array into two RAID volumes (RAID-5 and RAID-1) in order to put my control files and redo logs on a different volume. Could it be the issue?

Thanks

01078, 00000, "failure in processing system parameters"
    // *Cause: Failure during processing of INIT.ORA parameters during
    // system startup.
    // *Action: Further diagnostic information should be in the error stack.

HTH & YMMV

Thumbs up

Originally posted by aekjobs
    The Oracle server is probably not able to find the pfile in the given location or the parameter values in that file not proper.
    Hi,
    I've finally found the problem : the SPFILE parameter in my init file was wrong. I still can't figure out how this could work before
    I've put both my init file and my spfile in the default locations, which makes things a bit simpler.
    Thanks for your help.