Question Unanswered: Filemaker front-end to Filemaker

Hi,

I am trying to create a database, i want there to be a central filemaker database file on a server pc and i want the filemaker runtime to access this file. a max of 8 pc running the runtime will access this database. Is this possible?

Yes, in theory its sort of possible but is a tremendous burden to implement. In order to get the run time versions to communicate with a master/central FileMaker database, you'd have to use XML imports in the runt time solutions to send HTTP requests to a FileMaker client running web companion, and import the results. The HTTP queries you use for "importing" data could actually insert, update, delete, etc records on the server.

Of course, you wouldn't be able to maintain state with the master database, so your run time clients would not be updated with new information when the master files changed (other than when the run time explicitly re-imports the data).

I'd recommend against this unless you have a very strong need for it.

Would there be a better way to do what i want, there must?? Client/Server communication would be used in most databases, i know MS Access can do what i need, but i dont know as much about Access as i know Filemaker.

Multiple computers on the network can easily work with a master FileMaker database on the network - basically, FileMaker does support multiple concurrent users - very easily I might add. However, if you were to BIND a RUNTIME version of FileMaker using the FileMaker Developer tool, then it would be another story. I take it you're not binding runtime solutions but rather just developing solutions in FileMaker using the regular FileMaker Pro tools?

If so, then read this post ( http://dbforums.com/t921642.html ) which should give you an idea of how to configure FileMaker so that multiple users can access it simultaneously. Good luck!

No i want to bind a runtime for the solution to run on a total of 8 computers. I dont want to have to buy a version of filemaker for each computer on the network if im only going to be developing solutions on one computer. I just need something to run the database on the 8 computers. With Access you can copy tables to a local pc edit them and upload them, how Access does this i dont know but it does some how? I have been a user of Filemaker Pro of many years and dont want to have to learn a new program like Access.

Sorry, I guess you have to refer back to my first reply - there's no easy way in FileMaker. BTW, Access does have many, many features that FileMaker doesn't offer - and Access offers far more programmatic control of the application. However, it is also takes a little more effort to learn. So don't be too surprised that FMP doesn't match everything Access does.

I guess the bottom line is that FMI makes money selling licenses, and it wouldn't do them well to allow you to distribute network-able solutions which would bite into their sales. (Yes, even though you purchased the "developer" version). The truth is, FileMaker is not a product designed for developers - its a desktop app that aims to please novice desktop users who buy the software at CompUSA. And if FMI can make a few developers happy at the same time, then great - the more sales the merrier.

Sorry, sometimes I too am very frustrated with their poor support for developers.