Red face Unanswered: dSalvage to check/fix GoldMine files

Novice user here, so please bear with me. I know my general IT quite well, but database stuff is not my forte.

I'm running a contact management program called GoldMine. I believe it uses dBase IV conventions. I'm using version 4 of GoldMine, which is 5 years old. I've got a few thousand records in it. It was substantially customized by me when I first started using it (I learned how to do that and I'm sure it went fine). I'm running W98SE. I've been very careful to keep my system quite well maintained and generally trouble-free.

Quite a few years ago, though, with earlier versions of GoldMine, I'd get corruption whenever the computer glitched (before I got battery backup, for instance). At that time, I bought dSalvage, and learned the basics of using it, which allowed me to manually -- sometimes surgically -- repair what would otherwise have been fatal damage.

All has been fine for a long time now, but in the past week my computer froze while burning a CD while GoldMine was open, and on restart GoldMine acted up a bit -- the names of tabs were not displaying. I ran its built-in maintenance routine and they came back. Earlier today, the computer again froze while burning a CD while GoldMine was open, and this time on restart I noticed that the last record I had entered into GoldMine wasn't there (which, of course, in and of itself isn't surprising and is no big deal). I ran the built-in maintenance routine again and it stopped to tell me one of the dbase files (a DBF) had a read failure and would be skipped. I clicked OK and the rest of the maintenance routine ran okay. I then ran the maintenance routine again and it didn't raise any flags. However, on looking at the GoldMine display I noticed a bunch of fields in the Fields tab weren't showing up. (I don't recall if I'd closed and reopened the program after the maintenance routine.) At that point, I did close and reopen the program, and the fields came back.

I then pulled out my old version of dSalvage. It's version 4, dated 1993.

I checked all the GoldMine files that are pertinent (I know what folders/files to check because I asked the creator of dSalvage when I first got the two programs and he walked me through it). I did two checks on each file: "Diagnose" and "Memo Scan." All checks indicated nothing is wrong.

Is that enough to tell me it's totally fine? (Concluding it's fine would mean writing off the fields not showing up to either a fluke -- which, based on probability, is really not a likely explanation under the circumstances, especially since it never does that -- or to my not having closed and reopened GoldMine after I ran its maintenance routine.)

If it's not enough to tell me everything's okay, what else can I do to check it and, if needed, repair it?

THANKS!

Jay
    Last edited by Whisperer; 09-19-03 at 23:41.

Re: dSalvage to check/fix GoldMine files

Hi Jay,

can you exactly name the file that is causing the problem ?

If so ZIP it to a smaller size and send it to me, perhaps i can
    help you in finding the corruption.

Please also include the index files.

mail to: remove the _no_spam_

markus_no_spam_.wiederstein@web.de

cu

Markus

Markus,

Thanks so much for replying and offering to help.

I "think" everything's okay. I checked at the GoldMine forum and the head guru there said that if the programs internal indexing maintenance is showing everything fine after the initial fix it had to do, it should be fine. Also, it's been working fine since I posted without a single hiccup.

So, I think it's okay.

I'll be back if I have any more problems though. I greatly appreciate your offer to help.

Jay