Unanswered: Basic ? How are database associated with instance

Board ,

am a novice on db2 and here goes my rudimentary question , i understand that multiple db2 instance can be created on IBM UDB & each instance can act & work seperately. How do you know what are all the databases are defined on a particular instance (is there any db2 command , Configuration file to look at ) , can a database can be defined in multiple instance ?

-- ra --

db2ilist will show you all the instances on a given server
    and each will have its own configuration and parms

You can have the same database name on both instances. Here is text from the "Administration Guide: Implementation" to help you distinguish between instances:

Instances are cataloged as either local or remote in the node directory. Your default instance is defined by the DB2INSTANCE environment variable. You can ATTACH to other instances to perform maintenance and utility tasks that can only be done at an instance level, such as creating a database, forcing off applications, monitoring a database, or updating the database manager configuration. When you attempt to attach to an instance that is not in your default instance, the node directory is used to determine how to communicate with that instance.

To attach to an instance using the command line, enter:

db2 attach to <instance name>

Re: Basic ? How are database associated with instance

once attached to an instance, issue the following command:

db2 list db directory

all the databases with entry type of indirect belongs to the attahced instance.

dollar

Originally posted by mq_developer
    Board ,

am a novice on db2 and here goes my rudimentary question , i understand that multiple db2 instance can be created on IBM UDB & each instance can act & work seperately. How do you know what are all the databases are defined on a particular instance (is there any db2 command , Configuration file to look at ) , can a database can be defined in multiple instance ?

-- ra --

Re: Basic ? How are database associated with instance

As pointed out by Marcus, you can have databases with the same name on different instance ...

But a given database can belong to only one instance and cannot be shared ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.