Question Unanswered: Expression builder/calculating with TEXT

Opps i think i posted in the wrong forum, so this is where it should be:
    I am stumped. I am trying to calculate from a text field. The fields i have are: Country, Company name, Address, Books bought
    The problem is i want to arrange a report from this with the country summarised so i know from each country how many books were bought.
    I have spent hours trying to understand expression builder. The end result i want is a report that will group all countrys together with a total of how many countries bought what.
    EG:
    Australia........Company name..........Address.........Books Bought
    Germany.......Compnay name.........Address........Books bought
    etc etc
    Please help!!!!!!!! I need to know urgently
    Or how would you explain how the database (Access) will help in this area, so i can figure out the demand for the books in each country.
    Thanks

PS: So far i cant figure out how to calculate with text fields, such as Country and believe me i have spent days on this.

you shouldn't need the expression builder.

assuming you have a query that returns the data you want to report, use the report wizard. in step two add grouping levels Country, Company, Address. in step three: summary options - sum

done (except your report will probably have more than you want so you will have to mess with it a bit).

izy

Thanks izyrider
    I have since posting the original message, discovered that report is what i needed, so thanks i agree there. I have grouped the country so it shows a listing like this:

New Zealand

Company 1...........Books last purchased
    Company 2...........Books last purchased

I would like to add under this eg: Total in country..............with it summarised as a total.
    I am stuck on the summary part you mention cause that's what i don't understand how to calculate in a 'formula'.
    I hope that makes sense.

Jo
    Oh yeah i have access 97

a97! even a95 had the summary options button in the third (fourth depending how you count them) step of the report wizard. sometimes the wizard does not offer the summary options - seems this happens when the report data source is a single table with no lookups to other tables...

anyhow, if the wizard doesn't want to play, try a textbox with
    controlsource: =Sum([theFieldYouAreTryingToSum])
    running sum: No

different things happpen depending where you put the textbox: copy/paste the text box to every section of the report to see what happpens.

also, you will probably need to add more grouping levels (as suggested in my first msg) to get to where you said you wanted to go.

izy