Exclamation Unanswered: Oracle Express Installation

Hi All,

I have Oracle Express 6.3.2 for Windows NT version installation. I was able to install and work with this CD perfectly in Windows NT operating system. But, now i changed my operating system to Windows XP. Now i am not able to install Oracle Express 6.3.2 with the same CD.

This is very very urgent. Please help me in this.

Thanks in advance.

Murhy

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1

Re: Oracle Express Installation

Originally posted by murthy_dsr
    Hi All,

I have Oracle Express 6.3.2 for Windows NT version installation. I was able to install and work with this CD perfectly in Windows NT operating system. But, now i changed my operating system to Windows XP. Now i am not able to install Oracle Express 6.3.2 with the same CD.

This is very very urgent. Please help me in this.

Thanks in advance.

Murhy
    From Metalink

Server Information:

Windows XP has 2 editions/versions, Professional and Home. Oracle will ONLY certify on Professional.

If you are running the "HOME" version of XP,
    then YOYO (You're On Your Own)!

Question Re: Oracle Express Installation

Hi,

My operating system is Windows XP Professional Version 2002. So, can i have some more information please for unable to install express.

Murthy

Originally posted by anacedent
    From Metalink

Server Information:

Windows XP has 2 editions/versions, Professional and Home. Oracle will ONLY certify on Professional.

If you are running the "HOME" version of XP,
    then YOYO (You're On Your Own)!

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1

Originally posted by murthy_dsr
    Hi,

My operating system is Windows XP Professional Version 2002. So, can i have some more information please for unable to install express.

Murthy
    Saying "won't install; please advise";
    is about as useful as going to the doctor
    and saying "It hurts, please make it stop".

My crystal ball is broken.

You have NOT provided any useful information
    that might give a clue as to what is really wrong.

Hi,

When i double clicking the SETUP.EXE file, there is no response at all.
    Even i am not getting the Oracle Universal Installar window also. Noting proceeds after that. So, i am not able to install. With the same CD i tried to install in Windows NT, it is working fine. (For your confirmation, not the CD problem)

Murthy

Originally posted by anacedent
    Saying "won't install; please advise";
    is about as useful as going to the doctor
    and saying "It hurts, please make it stop".

My crystal ball is broken.

You have NOT provided any useful information
    that might give a clue as to what is really wrong.

Hi,

If you have a previous installation of Oracle, try the Universal INstaller from the oracle for windows directory.
    Otherwise, try startmenu / run and type "D:\setup" (change D if your CD has another letter"
    Otherwise try to start the file setup.exe in a directory called install (you can recognize this other setup.exe by it's icon, it shows the universal installer)

Good luck

Edwin

Question

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for your help. With the first option i am able to install the Express. But it is hanging while 'Installing NLS Required Support Files 8.1.6.0.0' Product. I am attaching the installActions.log and oraInstall.err files. Can you please check this and give the reason.

Thanks in advance.

Murthy

Originally posted by evanhattem
    Hi,

If you have a previous installation of Oracle, try the Universal INstaller from the oracle for windows directory.
    Otherwise, try startmenu / run and type "D:\setup" (change D if your CD has another letter"
    Otherwise try to start the file setup.exe in a directory called install (you can recognize this other setup.exe by it's icon, it shows the universal installer)

Good luck

Edwin

Question

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for your help. With the first option i am able to install the Express. But it is hanging while 'Installing NLS Required Support Files 8.1.6.0.0' Product. I am attaching the installActions.log and oraInstall.err files. Can you please check this and help me.

Thanks in advance.

Murthy

Hi,

Good luck

Edwin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi,

I'm sorry but i cannot see the attachment (i'm a bit new to this forum), but i think i've seen the problem.
    Go to the Oracle_home in which you installed express, to the network admin directory and delete any files there (probably the only file there is the tnsnames.ora).
    Then try your installation again, and I think it will run smoothly.
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

Looks like some java pieces are missing ... or maybe the classpath isn't set on that machine?

Exclamation

Hi,

Finally i succeded in installing Oracle Express Server in Windows XP with Oracle Express Server 6.3.2 for NT. But, Oracle Express Server service is not starting. I am getting this error while i am trying to start from the Windows Services.

"Windows could not start the Oracle Express Server 6.3.2.0.0 on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 40."

Can some help me in this please.

Thanks in advance.

Murthy

Originally posted by Ida Hoe
    Looks like some java pieces are missing ... or maybe the classpath isn't set on that machine?

Hi,

This is what metalink has to say about the specic error 40:

Quote:
    Error 40 is an NT fail safe error, which by itself doesn't mean a lot. You can create an event log that will provide you with detailed information about why you are receiving this error. Follow this procedure to set up the log file: 1) Start the Configuration Manager. 2) Select the OES instance for which you want to create a log. Edit Setting dialog windows will display. 3) On the File I/O tab folder, click on the EventLogPath. 4) Enter the directory path into the value column. 5) Select Set. There will be a stream of entries in the log file that include errors for each attempt at starting the 6.0 service. Search the log for the error 40, then review the errors on either side of it. You will see a more specific error such as "unable to allocate enough virtual memory" or "login failed error 1326". These more specific errors will lead you to the root of your current problem. For example, a common cause of this error is, if you specified a domain account, it mishandled the password validation, and behaved as if password validation had failed. This usually is associated with error 1314 or 1326 in the event log. To resolve this problem, let the configuration manager create a new account without a specifying a domain.

End Quote

Good luck
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

Exclamation

Hi,

Now i am getting this error.

"Windows could not start the Oracle Express Server 6.3.2.0.0 on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 58."

Can some help me in this please.

Thanks in advance.

Murthy

Hi,

This is what metalink has to say about the specic error 40:

Quote:
    Error 40 is an NT fail safe error, which by itself doesn't mean a lot. You can create an event log that will provide you with detailed information about why you are receiving this error. Follow this procedure to set up the log file: 1) Start the Configuration Manager. 2) Select the OES instance for which you want to create a log. Edit Setting dialog windows will display. 3) On the File I/O tab folder, click on the EventLogPath. 4) Enter the directory path into the value column. 5) Select Set. There will be a stream of entries in the log file that include errors for each attempt at starting the 6.0 service. Search the log for the error 40, then review the errors on either side of it. You will see a more specific error such as "unable to allocate enough virtual memory" or "login failed error 1326". These more specific errors will lead you to the root of your current problem. For example, a common cause of this error is, if you specified a domain account, it mishandled the password validation, and behaved as if password validation had failed. This usually is associated with error 1314 or 1326 in the event log. To resolve this problem, let the configuration manager create a new account without a specifying a domain.

End Quote

Good luck

hi,

Look at the OESEvent.log to see what error messages are in it.
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

Thumbs up

Hi,

Finally i successfully installed Oracle Express Server and able to start also. Thanks for all and every body who helped me in the process.

My special thanks to Edwin.

Edwin,

Thanks for your more valuable information for my installation and starting of service process. Now it is working fine. Once again thanks for you help.

Murthy

hi,

Look at the OESEvent.log to see what error messages are in it.