Unanswered: Pervasive Linux Client with PHP & unixODBC occasionally returning garbage chars

Just a quick question regarding the linux client, i am connecting remotely via php (odbc) from a linux box to a pervasive server on an win2000 box, and occassionally it will return garbage characters in 1 (or more) fields.

It occurs even though it is the exact same query, where there is normal data within the field (for example, if i hit refresh a couple of times i can reproduce the error).

just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this... would it be the odbc driver supplied by pervasive or possibly unixODBC itself?

here's some of my specs that i could find (basically i'm running a debian 3.0 box, with most things updated):

unixodbc (2.2.4-6) unstable; urgency=low
    PHP 4.3.3RC3 (cli)

And the pervasive server is:
    Pervasive.SQL 2000 for Windows NT

Provided Answers: 4

Re: Pervasive Linux Client with PHP & unixODBC occasionally returning garbage chars

What's the version of the Linux Pervasive client you're using? Make sure the client and the server are one the same version. WHile we're at it, what's the exact version of the Pervasive on the server? Both should be 7.94.251 (or at least 7.90.230). Pervasive is working on a fully supported Linux client that is currently in an RC status so I don't know if they've ever tested what you're doing.
    \
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Pervasive.SQL-Client-8.15-141.002

As far as i can tell, the pervasive server is 7.82.198.004 (this is what was listed in the pervasive control center - Help->About so i'm not sure whether that is the version of the control center or the actual database itself?)

First off, you're running a newer client to an old engine. THe easiest way to check the version of the engine on an NT/2K server would be to check the version of the W3ODBCEI.DLL (in PVSW\BIN, by default) or by checking the "Drivers" tab in the ODBC ADministrator.
    One other thing, the 8.15 release was a beta release. You should at least update to the 8.50 RC.
    As far as the 2k engine, you should update it to at least SP4. Ideally you would install the 8.50 RC for the server engine too.
    Mirtheil Software

The odbc driver was listed at 7.82.198.01. We will be definitely updating the windows box with the latest service packs within the next day.

I'm currently downloading 8.50 and going to try get that up and running now.

Thanks for your help, i'll let you know how it goes when we get the service packs on tomorrow.

Odbcei.dll version is now 7.94.251.002

I was just wondering where we can get 8.50 RC for the 2K server - I had a search through the site, with no luck. We are running Pervasive SQL 2000i (SP4) now but I thought that 8.50 RC was part of the v8 series?

We have updated as much as we can now, however the data stored on the production server is very important and we can not risk it to a possibly buggy release candidate. Do you know how stable these RC's are? We do have a test server to play with, but eventually we must build a stable product for the production server

Well, they are RC status rather than Beta (like the 8.15 Linux client) but they are not general release yet.
    Have you contacted Pervasive to find out if they've seen anything like this?
    Mirtheil Software

Wink

Well after a whole lot of screwing around we have the problem solved.

On top of the existing problem, It turned out that for like the last day and a half apache had been segfaulting on us whenever we attempted to make an odbc connection (and it was also causing a segfault with the gd library). In order to get that fixed we finally came about stripping out a lot of extensions in php.ini that were unnecessarily included.

So by solving the segmentation fault problem, it now looks like the pervasive linux client is performing properly with no garbage characters. This is also working through the 8.15 client.

My extended headache is now over