Unanswered: Unable to establish OLE DB connection

Hi,
    Recently we purchased and installed a Pervasive.SQL V8 database server on a Novell 6.0 server. I also installed the Pervasive OLE DB Provider.

Today I tried to play with some sample VB6/VB.NET apps I downloaded from the Pervasive Web site, but I was unable to establish an OLE DB connection with the server. I tried VB6 apps on Win98 client and VB.NET apps on Win2K client, but I keep on getting the same message: "Unable to connect to the relational engine (is Database Name and Server available?)." The target database is the usual Demodata and security is turned off. I tried to set the new Location parameter to the name of the target server, but with the same result.

I used the following connection string:

Provider=PervasiveOLEDB;Data Source=demodata;Location=testserver

Using the Pervasive System Analyzer, I tested my client installations, network connections and relational engine operation. Everything works OK, or at lest that is what the log files say. When I use the PCC, I have no problem of connecting and viewing the Demodata database.

Can anyone give me a clue what could the problem be? As I suppose it must be something really trivial, caused by my lack of experience with Pervasive, I wanted to post on this forum first, before I contact Pervasive technical support.

Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 4

Re: Unable to establish OLE DB connection

You need to be able you can communicate with the relational engine using TCP/IP. THe V8 OLEDB seems to require TCP/IP. You can run the PSA Network communication test and the SRDE test to verify which protocol is being used.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Thank you for your answer.

I did run the PSA tests (I am not sure what SRDE stands for). The protocol is TCP/IP and I am able to perform the usual test operations against the Demodata database, so I conclude that the communication with remote engine should be OK.

I searched the Pervasive Knowledgebase on their site and found something I didn't like. They say that there is a known OLEDB connectivity issue with Wndows 98SE. The Ndis.Vxd file should be replaced with the older OEM version. I am not sure whether I can simply replace that file with the older version. (First I got to find one, because all the W98 clients in the house are SE). I need W98SE because the locale is not english american. Anyway, it may solve the OLEDB connectivity problem for W98SE clients, but I have the same issue also with W2000/XP machines.

Guess I will need to have a word with the Pervasive support people.

Provided Answers: 4

The SRDE is the Pervasive Relational engine. Basically, it's the SQL engine that both OLEDB and ODBC use.
    If TCP/IP is working and ODBC work, then OLEDB should be working too. I would suggest a call to Pervasive support.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Looks like the Pervasive OLEDB provider doesn't work as it should when the database is located on our Novell server.

If I use the MS OLE DB provider for ODBC, everything works fine and I can connect to the database from my VB6 and VB. NET apps, no matter where the database is physically located. But when I switch to the Pervasive provider, I am able to connect to the database only when the database is on my local drive. In all other cases I get a "file locked" message even when the db files are in a network directory where I have all possible permissions and I am the only user.

I am going to have a nice cup of coffee, cool down, and write an e-mail to Pervasive support.