Unhappy Unanswered: A couple of queries

I am facing a couple of problems while using the control centre ( UDB version 8.1 on AIX 5.1)

1) When I try to see the tables of a database from the control centre on the server it SOMETIMES returns me SQL1224N and SQLSTATE=55032
    ( database agent could not be started to service a request or was terminated as a result of database shutdown )

When I do a db2start it says that the manager is already active .
    I am the only person using the database.
    I have got the follwoing parameters set :-

Priority of agents (AGENTPRI) = SYSTEM
    Max number of existing agents (MAXAGENTS) = 400
    Agent pool size (NUM_POOLAGENTS) = 200(calculated)
    Initial number of agents in pool (NUM_INITAGENTS) = 0
    Max number of coordinating agents (MAX_COORDAGENTS) = (MAXAGENTS - NUM_INITAGENTS)

Can anyone tell me the possible reason and remedy ?

2) I have got a control centre configured as a client on my server machine. When I try to add a database through it , it says the database/database alias already exists in system/local database directory. Before doing this operation I had done a db2 list database directory and ensured that the databse did not exist. However, after the operation it creates an entry into the database directory for the new database . Howeve, it does not create any object within it.

Any possible indications as to the cause of the problems and remedies will be much appreciated

Don't know if this will help, but make sure that the DB2 Administrative Server is started.

db2admin start

You should log on as the DB2 admin server user to do this (dasusr1 if you took the default at install time).

You can also set it up to be autostarted at boot time.

Thanks Marcus.

But while setting it up I had installed it such that it autostarted. But to make it doubly sure, after I encountered this problem , I did a db2admin start for which the reply was administration manager already started ( and not administration manager started successfully!) .

Can there be some other reason for this ?

For point no 1, I think it happens when you have forced off the applications in the database and deactivated it .. The first time you try to access, it returns with the error you mention ...

For 2, add database configures a client database alias and does not create a database ... To create a new database, you will have to use the 'Create Database' option in the drop-down menu when right-clicked highlighting the instance/node name ...

HTH

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

In case you did more then an add e.i. create a db and you still receive the same error ... try using db2 list database directory on [path] instead on just db2 list database directory. Then if you get a result for the database your are trying to create ... tehn you will be able to drop it from the command line
    Last edited by dlafreni; 09-22-03 at 19:39.

Unhappy

Thanks for the replies but the problems still persist

1 ) For point 1 - from control centre the problem happens sometimes and I am the only user accessing the database. I have checked that the DAS is running . The database is not quiesced somehow. More importantly there is no problem in accessing the databse objects from the CLP

2 ) For point 2 - I am sorry if I did not make it clear initially that I am trying to create a new database by pressing the CREATE menu.
    I have checked the local database directories and they do not have any entry for the database.
    Again the create command works from the CLP.

This seems to indicate that for some rason the Control Centre is not working properly for me ( I don't know the reason ). Does anyone have any idea ?

Do you have the latest fixpak?