Talking Unanswered: Filemaker arithmatic

I'm using CDML to output data to a webpage.

How do I perform arithmatic on this data? ie: subtract a number from the number coming out of the database?

there must be a way

thanks

P

I don't believe there is a way to do this using CDML. You'll have to use another middleware application such as Lasso, PHP, ASP, ColdFusion, or Tango instead.

I like PHP the best, (use the FX class at www.iviking.org to connect to FileMaker) which is free, but most FileMaker developers use BlueWorld's Lasso instead. Lasso is a good product but its market is rather limited to FileMaker (even though it supports most other databases). If you learn PHP instead of Lasso then your skills are more universal and you'll be a candidate for a lot more jobs.

Thumbs up

BTW, these middleware languages are relatively easy to learn. If you want to learn PHP, just ask for help. I'd be happy to help answer questions to get you going with it.

Mariano Peterson

Re: Filemaker arithmatic

Originally posted by gurtle
    I'm using CDML to output data to a webpage.

How do I perform arithmatic on this data? ie: subtract a number from the number coming out of the database?

there must be a way

thanks

P
    You can always use a calculated field in FMP to do that .

You can also mixe Javascript with cdml

Or if you need a robust solution you can use LASSO. The Lasso language is very similar to CDML

Blueworld lasso
    Olivier Miossec
    --
    http://www.lasso-developpeur.net/
    --

thanks for all your suggestions, but unfortunately they haven't helped me too much. I am very experienced in several middleware technologies (PHP, ASP, JSP etc) and would give my left hand for one right now, but the server that the FMP database is on can't/won't run anything but FMP and CDML.

ok, maybe I'm asking the wrong question. What I want to do is implement BACK and NEXT buttons to page through the results from the DB, but without using the <FMP-LINKNEXT> tags etc

NEXT is ok, you just set the skip parameter to [FMP-rangeend] but the BACK button just won't work for me.

it's probably quite simple but I'm not used to FMP (and frankly don't like it at all) and so the answer eludes me

thanks for your help

Patrick

I don't think you can do this strictly in CDML without using the LinkPrevious tag. Would the FMP-LinkPrevious tag accomplish your goal?
    Code:
     [FMP-LinkPrevious]Previous set of records[/FMP-LinkPrevious]
    You could also use client side JavaScript to do the calculation, but then you're dependent on the user having JS in their browser, and you have to code for different browser types as well.

As a side issue, why can't you install PHP and Apache on the machine running CDML?
    Last edited by marianopeterson; 09-23-03 at 12:42.

I can't install anything on that server because I don't administer it, it's completely out of my control.

The FMP-LINKPREVIOUS doesn't work because I have a <BASE> tag in this page. I need the base tag because all the images and links (other than these FMP links) go off to my webserver (as opposed to the FMP server which I don't control)

It's all very messy, but rest assured I can't use FMP-LINKPREVIOUS without rebuilding the entire page.

I think I might have to go with JS for now

thanks

Patrick