Thread: Design question

Question Design question

Hello,
    I am creating a database for a website (lvjrfest.org). My problem is this:
    Students will (once I'm finished) be registering for one of 30 Events. Each Event has between 5 and 20 Difficulty levels. The Difficulty levels are different for each Event, although some may overlap. For example, the Piano Concerto Event has three Difficulties: Easy, Medium, and Advanced. The Vocal Yodeling Event has 5 Difficulties: Easy, Medium, Caterwauling, Screaming, and Advanced.

The Events table is trivial; no problem there. How do I design the database so that Difficulties are associated with their Event? I thought of creating a table for each Event called <event>DifficultyLevels, but I wonder if there isn't a better way...

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
    JPG

Re: Design question

You want 3 tables: Event, Difficulty and Event_Difficulty (intersection between Event and Difficulty).

Thumbs up

Thanks for your answer. With that and a little more reading, I was able to understand the solution (I had forgotten what an intersection table was and what it is for).

Red face Lotus Linked Server on SQLServer 2000

Hello Guys,
    My ODBC and UDL connections are working fine. Tested successfully. But under Liked severs on SQLServer it does not work. It hangs up for ever untill i close the Enterprise session. Can't query either.

Can someone please help ?
    Thanks,
    imransi.