Unanswered: IIF Statement Returning All rows

Hi I have a query where I pass it a value from a form. If the value on the form combo box is "All" then I don't want to restrict the query otherwise I want to restrict it to just the value selected in the form.

Below is the "Criteria" field that contains the code.

IIf(([forms]![frmDetail Reports Selection].[lstFilter]="All"),"*",[forms]![frmDetail Reports Selection].[lstFilter])

The problem is that when the user selects "All" in the combo box the query returns no results.

If however I change the "*" to an actual value in the field such as "W" then it works fine?

Can anybody please explain how I can get it to show all rows when the user selects "All" in the combo box.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: IIF Statement Returning All rows

In your table you don't have a "*" stored as a value in the field your are searching. The "*" means nothing special to your database, it is just a character like any other. What is the syntax of your query? One solution might be to compose a different query, with a different WHERE clause, when the user chooses the "All" option. A good place to do it is the Click event of the combo box.

Thank you for the feedback.

I just worked out what the problem was (after thinking about your response) I needed to put the entire IIF statement in a Like statement Like(IIF(etc)).

This way when ALL was selected made the criteria box contain Like "*" which then returned all rows.

Before it was simply trying to find those reecords that contained the value "*".