Unanswered: init.ora gone loco

I'm a java engineer that basically has a sun utlra sparc 5 setup to run oracle for a local/development db. I set it up and it's been working fine for about a year. A couple of days ago, I decided to add some programs to my Sun machine like, gcc, netscape 7, pine, fetchmail and a few others. I monitored my disk space but something's gone a little crazy.

When I try to start oracle now, the svrmgrl program says:
    ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters

Now, I know this has something to do with my init.ora file. I have three of these:
    init.ora
    initjgora.ora
    initdw.ora

Now being just a lowly java engineer, my computer knowledge pales in comparison to the mighty oracle dba. Anyone got some options for me as to how I should modify my init file and maybe which one?

Thanks

usually the init.ora file is softlinked to $ORACLE_HOME/dbs
    are your environments are correcly set for your oracle user
    scroll through your init ora files and grep for your control files
    which you have applied for you instance. The file containing these files may be the one to be used for startup ...

Oh, it's jgora then. My control files are in there. I thought that might be the one. I've already made a initjgora.bak file and I started adjusting the different sizes. It's a fairly small db. I get dump files from work but there usually sparcely poulated. I made some adustments like:

db_block_buffers = 8811 #initial
    db_block_buffers = 100 #small
    db_block_buffers = 550 #medium
    db_block_buffers = 3200 #large

Well, logic tells me that I don't need that much since my db is small. So I adjusted that var. But, once again. I'm not really sure which vars take up the most. So I'm kind of just feeling my way through this. And my whole assumption that the added new programs may have eaten up to much space could be off. But this problem didn't start happening until I added the new programs. So...... that's where I currently find myself.

Look down through your initjgora.ora file to find where your alert log (probably called alert_jgora.log) points to.

Try to start your database again - let it fail.

Go to the alert log and look for a more informative error message.

It's probably something like it can't get enough memory to start up ?? or something.

Rgs,
    Breen.

Ok, yeah, a log file would be great. There doesn't seem to be a line in the initjgora.ora file for an alert log. I checked the init.ora (since I've come to realize that it's just a template to follow) file as well. No alert log line. Anyone have the structure for it?

Hi,

Most likely the alert_<dbname>.log is located in the admin directory that is created when creating the database. Otherwise you can search for it on your filesystem. Seach for alert*.log or alert_jgora.log.

You described having made adjustments like :
    db_block_buffers = 100 #small
    db_block_buffers = 550 #medium
    db_block_buffers = 3200 #large

If these lines exist in your initjgora.ora like above, this might be your problem. There can only be one of the DB_BLOCK_BUFFER parameter set, so having 4 of them might cause the problem to initialise the database.

please report back.
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

Ok, I'll look for the log file.

Oh crap, my bad. They actually look like this:

#db_block_buffers = 100 #small
    #db_block_buffers = 550 #medium
    #db_block_buffers = 3200 #large

I forgot to comment the other ones out.

Ok, I found the alret log file in admin/bdump. I tailed it and the errors actually get sent here:

Tue Sep 23 14:47:30 2003
    Errors in file /export/home/oracle/OraHome1/rdbms/log/jgora_ora_11873.trc:

So I took a look at this file and it said this:

*** DUMP FILE SIZE IS LIMITED TO 0 BYTES ***
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    "jgora_ora_11873.trc" 3 lines, 47 characters

thoughts?

Hi,

can you attach the alert.log to a new post? And if possible also the init.ora so I can check the settings ?
    Look like the max_dump_file_size is not zet or set to 0 since the tracefile alerts this.
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

Well, I saw where the max_dump_file_size was commented out. I uncommented it but it still gave the same error. I attached the files.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Did you stop and start the database after you made the change in the init.ora ? If not you must for the change to take effect.

Rgs,
    Breen.

DING, DING, DING. We have a winner!!!

I didn't think the db actually started since it threw the error but I guess it did. So typing quit at the svrmgr prompt wasn't enough. I actually had to type shutdown immediate.

Thanks for all the help guys!