Unanswered: How can I send out batch eMails? Help!

Hi,

I am developing an asp web site, that will need to email each of the web site subscribers a newsletter on a daily basis. The number of subscribers could conceivably grow into the hundreds of thousands.

I will basically need to cycle through the subscriber database and send out an email to evey person listed. Is this best handled within a .dll file? Or is there some way of doing it within an asp page?

Help!!

Chris

You could do this via ASP pages but the only way I can think of doing it is by sending them one by one in a loop.

That would suck for 100,000's of people. Hey it would probably suck for >1000!

Hmmm. That's what I thought. Any ideas on what to use instead? I need this baby to be up and running within a couple of weeks and the bulk emailing app is giving me a severe headache. Surely there must be a component somewhere that will handle 10000+ emails?

I think most of them would handle that many emails - just I don't think its a good idea to use the same server to run your site & send bulk email from.

Maybe you should send them from another computer?
    Maybe you should run tests to see what kind of load (processor/bandwidth) sending this amount of mail through normal ASP mail methods (e.g. CDONTS etc)...

If you have a DB involved, you could create a message queue table. When you want to notify people, you add a new record to the queue table with the name, email address, subject, body, timestamp1 (record added), timestamp2 (email sent) and sent/unsent boolean flag. Then you have a process that runs every 10, 15, 30 minutes (whatever works best) that goes through the queue looking for unsent messages, sends the email, then flags it sent.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Lightbulb Use CDONTS

CDONTS works really well and is easy to implement. I have set it up on a site that emails certain people when the database has been modified. Check with your webhost to make sure you can use CDONTS, or they may suggest other means. Of course, they may not like you sending 10,000 emails out from their server, hehe.