Unanswered: DBA Studio and TNS:No Listener Problem

I have been facing common TNS No listener problem on Win2K Server and Oracle 8.1.6. I have gone through forum postings and tried all the remdies but of no use.

When i tried to connect to database using DBA Studion it gives error TNS No Listener.
    LSNRCTL shows the status of the default LISTENER up and running but when i ping it using TNSPING it says no Listener.

It was working fine in Windows NT .....Is there some other settings for Win 2K , i am missing?

Hi,

TNS also requieres a correct tnsnames.ora and a correct sqlnet.ora.
    The tnsnames.ora should contain entries for your service names pointing to the listener port (normally 1521).
    If you do not have a correct tnsnames.ora, create one using the SQLNet configuration assistant.
    If you do have a correct tnsnames.ora, be sure to set an environment variable TNS_ADMIN in windows pointing to the location where the tnsnames.ora is located.
    To do so, check the properties of 'My Computer' on your desktop, go to the advanced tab and click 'Environment Variables..'
    There are two small panes above each other. Add the TNS_NAMES to the upper pane and as the value type the complete path to the tnsnames.ora, but not tnsnames.ora. Only the path (for example : Y:\network\admin)

If this doesn't work, check the sqlnet.ora. More specific the SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES. Most probably it says (NTS), if the above is not working you might change it to (NONE). It was a bug in 8.1.7

If this all does not work, report back.

Hope this helps.
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

Hi evanhattem,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I tried the points you mentioned i.e. setting env. variables into windows and making SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES entry in sqlnet.ora to NONE, but still the problem persists. DBA Studio could not connect due to error TNS: No Listner.

I have tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora with configuration for service names that point to the listener ports 1521.

My tnsnames.ora file is:
    ----------------------------
    TESTDB =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.10.10.57)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = TESTDB)
    )
    )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID = PLSExtProc)
    (PRESENTATION = RO)
    )
    )

My listener.ora file is:
    ----------------------------
    LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
    )
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    )
    )
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (PROTOCOL_STACK =
    (PRESENTATION = GIOP)
    (SESSION = RAW)
    )
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.10.10.57)(PORT = 2481))
    )
    )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
    (ORACLE_HOME = D:\Oracle\Ora81)
    (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME = TESTDB)
    (ORACLE_HOME = D:\Oracle\Ora81)
    (SID_NAME = TESTDB)
    )
    )

I used the LSNRCTL command for checking status of listener. Here is the output for it:
    Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC0) ))
    STATUS of the LISTENER
    ------------------------
    Alias LISTENER
    Version TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.6.0.0 - Production
    Start Date 25-SEP-2003 10:28:26
    Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 5 min. 24 sec
    Trace Level off
    Security OFF
    SNMP OFF
    Listener Parameter File D:\Oracle\Ora81\network\admin\listener.ora
    Listener Log File D:\Oracle\Ora81\network\log\listener.log
    Services Summary...
    TESTDB has 1 service handler(s)
    PLSExtProc has 1 service handler(s)
    The command completed successfully

BUT when i tried to tnsping the listner it says:

Attempting to contact (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.10.10.57)(PORT=152 1))
    TNS-12541: TNS:no listener

It seems listner is running but ping is not working. I am on Win2k server with Oracle 8.1.6. I have tried SYSTEM/manager and sys/change_on_install as user/pwd for connecting to TESTDB. Am i still missing some configuration?

Thanks once again for your time.

hi,

for as far as I know there are no special W2K thingies to be set extra, so there's some other problem.
    first, can you post the sqlnet.ora file or what's in it ?
    second, add an entry to the tnsnames.ora for the TESTDB like this :
    TESTDB.WORLD =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = TESTDB)
    )
    )

and try to connect using testdb.world as the servicename

third, create a trace file for the connection to trace speific errors.To do this add the following to the sqlnet.ora :
    trace_level_client=16
    trace_directory_client=<path_to_an_existing_direct ory>
    trace_unique_client=on
    and post this file or what's in it.

Fourth, try to add an entry for the TESTDB, but now with the hostname instead of the ip-address.

Fifth, please check that the listener is running (it probably is but just to be sure) by typing 'netstat -a' on a command prompt and find port 1521 and verify it's status.

sixth, please post the value set for the TNS_ADMIN variable. Verify this by typing 'set tns_admin' on a command prompt.

This all will give us (jopefully) new info anout what the connection does or tries.
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

My sqlnet.ora file is:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)
    NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES, HOSTNAME)
    trace_level_client=16
    trace_directory_client=D:\Oracle\Ora81\network\tra ce
    trace_unique_client=on

Iistener is running on port 1521 as i checked through netstat

TNS_ADMIN variable is TNS_ADMIN=D:\Oracle\Ora81\network\ADMIN

I have tried host name inplace of IP but it doen't work.

i have attached the trace file which seems to have some problem. Plz have a look on it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

hi,

i have been looking at the trace file. Your configuration of the tnsnames and sqlnet seems ok, but there's some other problem on a low TCP level.
    Are you on the box on which the listener and / or the database are installed ? Or are you connecting from a client ?
    Is there a firewall involved when connecting from a client or specific proxy settings ?

I'll investigate some more, but feel free to answer the questrions above.

Greetz
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

hi,

another question. If u are connecting from a client, can you ping the ip adres with good result ?

Greetz
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

Yes i am connecting to database through dba studio on same machine where database is installed.

Proxy is there for connecting to Internet but i think it is not involed in connecting to database, as client and database are on same machine.

Since client(dba studio) and database are on same, that machine can ping itself. But as i mentioned in my earlier post tnsping is now working it throws same NO Listener error.

In trace file there was a message "ValidNode table in use; err 0x0" Does it give some hint regarding issue?

[**SOLVED**] DBA Studio and TNS:No Listener Problem

hi,

i got this problem solved. Actually there was a local firefile (ZoneAlarm) on the machine but i never started it. I made all installation and connection efforts when zonealarm was not running. Today i started the zone alarm and tried connecting again. It asks many times that some programs (Oracle and cliets etc) want to access Internet and i let theM go. In end finally dba studio was connected.

I will further look in actuall problem. I am very thankful to you for your help, time and effort. Thanks a lot.