Unanswered: Online backup with logretain off?? How?

Hi

Seems like there are many topics regarding online backups but i cannot seem to find a definitive answer.

I wish to do online backups of a database but am not running the database in log retain as point-in-time recovery is not needed.

From what i can understand reading the docs, it says for an online backup either logretain or userexit must be enabled.

Since i don't wish to switch on logretain, can anyone provide details on the process i would need to go through to enable online backups (ie using userexit)

Looks like its a case of keeping transient logs that are used during the backup but i would like a little more clarification on the program needed.

Thanks very much

Jamie

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Online backup with logretain off?? How?

Originally posted by wallisj
    Hi

Seems like there are many topics regarding online backups but i cannot seem to find a definitive answer.

I wish to do online backups of a database but am not running the database in log retain as point-in-time recovery is not needed.

From what i can understand reading the docs, it says for an online backup either logretain or userexit must be enabled.

Since i don't wish to switch on logretain, can anyone provide details on the process i would need to go through to enable online backups (ie using userexit)

Looks like its a case of keeping transient logs that are used during the backup but i would like a little more clarification on the program needed.

Thanks very much

Jamie
    From the manual about userexit:

"If this parameter is enabled, log retention logging is performed regardless of how the logretain parameter is set."

Looks like you're not going to gain anything by using "userexit" without "logretain"...
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Re: Online backup with logretain off?? How?

Are you sure you want to ignore the possibility of rollforward recovery totally ? In my personal opinion, you may have to consider all options ..

BTW, if you have userexit on, log files are automatically reused if the file has copied it over to another 'safe' location ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Hi

Thanks very much

Jamie
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Yes i am completely sure i don't want rollforward recovery for this database

We do use userexit and logretain on our production hardware/db...but this is a test database in use 24/7 as well and we have had problems with things reconnecting too quickly after a force.....so we just want to backup this test db online but aren't concerned about PointInTime just a single consistancy point.

Can anyone provide some clearer details on the userexit needed to just capture the right logs from during backup and no others.

Thanks again!
    J

mmm ... I missed something ...

If you backup a database online, you cannot restore it without having atleast one log created which was being used at the time of backup completion ... Stress is on the word 'atleast' ...
    So you have to retain the logs for online backups ...

In the first connection, if you get errors, reconnect ... They should get off ..

Yes i am completely sure i don't want rollforward recovery for this database

We do use userexit and logretain on our production hardware/db...but this is a test database in use 24/7 as well and we have had problems with things reconnecting too quickly after a force.....so we just want to backup this test db online but aren't concerned about PointInTime just a single consistancy point.

Can anyone provide some clearer details on the userexit needed to just capture the right logs from during backup and no others.

Thanks again!
    J
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

I understand that "some" logs are necessary for restoring a database online...the point i'm making is that i do not wish to enable logretain for that database.

What i am asking is that in order to be able to run the backup command with the online flag, the DB2 documentation says that EITHER logretain OR userexit is enabled.

I do not want to turn logretain on, so i need to know what userexit i need to implement in order to successfully backup a database online.

help?

J

Provided Answers: 1

I do not want to turn logretain on, so i need to know what userexit i need to implement in order to successfully backup a database online.

Obviously, your userexit procedure should save archived logs while backup is in progress but discard them (e.g. by sending them to /dev/null) at other times. Is that what you meant?
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

I think so....do u have an example? How would it differentiate between backup ones to keep and non-backup ones to discard?

Thanks
    Jamie