Unanswered: MySQL v PostgreSQL

I've been doing a fair bit of browsing to find out which database is best for my application. Lots of different opinions on MySQL and PostgreSQL, and a lot of the arguments come down to the following:

1) MySQL
    - Easier to install and maintain
    - Is getting slammed for not being a true relational database, not having support for foreign keys, transactions, not being fully ACID complient

2) PostgreSQL
    - Harder to pronounce
    - Installation is and maintenance is more difficult (esoteric)
    - Has additional features (views, stored procedures, triggers)

Now, I don't really care much about the view, stored procedures, and the like, but I am concerned when I hear people talk about lack of foreign key support and transactions.

Maybe the comparisons were done on MySQL 3.x, because I've been to MySQL.com and have read that these things are indeed supported with the InnoDB table, but can anyone debunk these claims? Can inner, left, right, outer joins on tables be performed? Does MySQL 4.x have referential integrity? I'd like to hear from those who actually use the product and not the ones in charge of selling/promoting/or slamming the product!

Cheers,
    -P

I've been to MySQL.com and realize that

By MySQL 5 stored procedures and triggers should be implemented... SHOULD is the keyword... Anyway, MySQL DOES support foreign keys if you make INNODB type tables... I've learned that asking questions about something without knowing much about it can lead to trouble Do a little research at www.mysql.com and see what comes up (IE look for future features and such and the table types)

Good Luck!

Originally posted by trieder
    By MySQL 5 stored procedures and triggers should be implemented... SHOULD is the keyword... Anyway, MySQL DOES support foreign keys if you make INNODB type tables... I've learned that asking questions about something without knowing much about it can lead to trouble Do a little research at www.mysql.com and see what comes up (IE look for future features and such and the table types)

Good Luck!
    Yeah, I've been to MySQL, and got really excited about the product at first, but after EXHAUSTIVE web searches in discussion forums, I've noticed that there is an anti-MySQL group out there that have some pretty damming claims about the software. So much so that I started to wonder about the validity about what I was reading on MySQL's web page. That's why I wanted to discuss the issue with those in this forum to (hopefully) get some honest feedback as to where MySQL does fall down, so to speak.

I'll be using VB6>ADO>ODBC to query and write to the database. Queries will be using a variety of Joins, but I feel that a critical issue is that of referential integrity. I've heard that the current, stable realease of MySQL does not truly support this. Other than that, I'm expecting about 30-40 users connected at a time, and maybe 3-4 transactions per minute. Stability and low maintenance is the key to this one, however, since the data is critical.

What do you think?

Anyone else care to add their experience (rather than opinions)?

Cheers,
    P

Originally posted by pjme7154

Yeah, I've been to MySQL, and got really excited about the product at first, but after EXHAUSTIVE web searches in discussion forums, I've noticed that there is an anti-MySQL group out there that have some pretty damming claims about the software.

People always have complaints about something, some people don't like software because they never used it before... :: shrugs :: maybe it failed them at some point and they didn't back up
    So much so that I started to wonder about the validity about what I was reading on MySQL's web page. That's why I wanted to discuss the issue with those in this forum to (hopefully) get some honest feedback as to where MySQL does fall down, so to speak.
    Why not test it yourself?

I'll be using VB6>ADO>ODBC to query and write to the database. Queries will be using a variety of Joins, but I feel that a critical issue is that of referential integrity.
    Of course referential integrity is imporant, it's at the core of joining two tables. As for doing Joins in MySQL you can do inner joins just fine and you don't need a foreign key... unfortunately you cannot verify certain things which DOES make Ref Integ a null point... You can also check what the user is entering into the application (you are using VB)
    I've heard that the current, stable realease of MySQL does not truly support this. Other than that, I'm expecting about 30-40 users connected at a time, and maybe 3-4 transactions per minute. Stability and low maintenance is the key to this one, however, since the data is critical.
    A i've seen a web site that runs on Free BSD with PHP and MySQL and it is generally a very crowded site (400+ users at once) and it lags a bit but it holds up.

What do you think?

Anyone else care to add their experience (rather than opinions)?

Cheers,
    P
    Opinions? What opinions?

Fair advice, thanks.