Unanswered: Hello EXPERTS, Sybase(.db) file conversion, URGENT!!!

Hello,

We use MySql and MSAccess for our application. The other application provider uses Sybase. Now it`s my task to bring the relavant data from Sybase to MySql or MSAccess. Im looking for any way of conversion. Ive received .db file from our client.

Is there any tool to convert without using Sybase server by simply reading in the .db data to any MS Access importable format(.txt, .csv, .xml, .xls etc.,). If not possible, where can i download Sybase server, installation and startup instructions.

Im short in time and need the help from experts.

Re: Hello EXPERTS, Sybase(.db) file conversion, URGENT!!!

Originally posted by ha_prabu
    Hello,

We use MySql and MSAccess for our application. The other application provider uses Sybase. Now it`s my task to bring the relavant data from Sybase to MySql or MSAccess. Im looking for any way of conversion. Ive received .db file from our client.

Is there any tool to convert without using Sybase server by simply reading in the .db data to any MS Access importable format(.txt, .csv, .xml, .xls etc.,). If not possible, where can i download Sybase server, installation and startup instructions.

Hi!

Just a try to ur problem

I am assuming that ur client is doing BCP and sending u the file with extension .db

1. Convert the file in DOS format
    Syntax: unix2dos originalfilename convertedfilename

example: unix2dos abc.db abc.txt
    2. now try to import this file in Access , by giving field delimiter as Tab(as normal BCP generates tab seperated file....but first confirm that ur client is not using any other character as field seperater..u can do so by opening file and looking into it)

3. Do take care about the datatype of columns/fields.

hope this will help u
    ---Pooja

You can use the ASA upsize tool rather to extract the MS-Access database into ASA.

http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/c...n_utility.html

Originally posted by ha_prabu
    Hello,

Question Re: Hello EXPERTS, Sybase(.db) file conversion, URGENT!!!

Hi

At the moment I need to do the same thing (import a df file (Sybase) from Mysql)
    So I start by unix2dos command, but the system failed :

unix2dos: converting file data-08-27.db to DOS format ...
    unix2dos: converting file db.txt to DOS format ...
    unix2dos: problems converting file aa.txt

Let me you know that my db file is of 1 G size.

So is there any solution to convert it ?

thank6

I tried to convert
    Originally posted by pooja
    Hi!

Just a try to ur problem

I am assuming that ur client is doing BCP and sending u the file with extension .db

1. Convert the file in DOS format
    Syntax: unix2dos originalfilename convertedfilename

example: unix2dos abc.db abc.txt
    2. now try to import this file in Access , by giving field delimiter as Tab(as normal BCP generates tab seperated file....but first confirm that ur client is not using any other character as field seperater..u can do so by opening file and looking into it)

3. Do take care about the datatype of columns/fields.

hope this will help u
    ---Pooja

Originally posted by meher
    unix2dos: converting file data-08-27.db to DOS format ...
    unix2dos: converting file db.txt to DOS format ...
    unix2dos: problems converting file aa.txt
    I tried to convert
    It is a database file. You cannot convert it using unix2dos or any other tool. All you will see is control characters. You can extract data out of it using DBUNLOAD utility. You can then export the file into CSV format. It is easier to convert the MS-Access to Sybase rather than trying the other way around.

The ASA upsize tool is actually very neat. If you are used to MS-Access. This gives you the ability tocontinue working with MS-Access GUI while the backend sits on Sybase ASA.
    Last edited by willy_and_the_ci; 10-24-03 at 22:09.