Unanswered: extract data from DMP file

I have a full Oracle DMP file, but no Oracle db, and I need to extract the table data from the DMP file.

(I got the DMP file, and the under development app that I was woking on from my last employer as a settlement when he failed to live up to our contract. He also promised the Oracle licence but he never delivered the CDs.)

Is there a tool or preferably a service that can extract the data for me?

I have written a VB program to parse the file and extract the data but I can not determine the format of the numeric data. Some numeric data is 1 byte, some 2 bytes, some 3 bytes and some 4 bytes and stored in some binary format. In some columns I know what the numeric value of the data is but still can not determine how to extract that from the binary data. Determing how to read this data would be the best solution for me.

The following info is from the EXP log file:

Connected to: Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.1.0 - Production
    With the Partitioning and Java options
    PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.1.0 - Production
    Export done in WE8ISO8859P1 character set and WE8ISO8859P1 NCHAR character set

Thanks!

Why don't you install Personal Oracle on your PC and import there?

http://otn.oracle.com/software/produ...e9i/index.html

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

I will download it later this morning. Version 8.1.7 as Personal 9i for Win 2000 is not listed. I only have dialup here and will have to go to a friends to download it, 583 MB.

The DMP was a full export and the command line used is below:

d:\ora815\bin\exp xxx/yyy full=y grants=y constraints=y compress=y log=logfile file=pp2full

It contains data files, tablespaces, etc. The drive and paths used no longer exist.

1. What import command line should I use on the import?

2. What, if anything, should I configure beyond installing a basic Oracle instance?

I'm NOT a DBA, but a programmer that used Oracle some and that knowledge is now over 2 years old.

Thanks!

Red face

I downloaded the Oracle 8i Personal edition for Win 2k (nt817personal.zip). I unziped the file and copied the contents to a CD.

The install software will not run!!! The autorun menu comes up but clicking on the install/uninstall option does nothing. I tried running both the install program in the cd root and the setup program in the \install\win32 folder from both the cd and the hard drive. The hour glass twirls for a few seconds then the program dies with no indication of why.

Question: Why is installing Oracle software like pulling teeth?
    Answer: Because you can't do it without professional help!
    Conclusion: Its no wonder why Oracle can't compete with MS SQL Server on the low end. The average user can install SQL Server, but it takes a patient expert to install Oracle!

Working w/ Oracle CAN be painful sometimes.

This problem sound familiar, this is an issue with the installer version and windows and the cpu model. Try these steps:
    1. Copy the contents of the \install directory to a directory on your hard disk.
    2. Search for all copies of the 'symcjit.dll' file both in and under the directory from Step 1, and rename them to 'symcjit.old'.
    3. Navigate to your new install directory, and edit the 'oraparam.ini' file. You will probably have to change the permissions on the file first.
    4. Change the JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS parameter to: JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS=-nojit -ms64m -mx128m
    5. Save the file.
    6. Run the setup.exe program in the win32 subdirectory.

This is what worked for us.

skempins,

That worked, thanks!!

This DMP was a FULL dump, see EXP command line in earlier message.

Questions:
    1. I made the DMP using my personal admin account. Should I set up a personal admin account to do the IMPort? Or can I use SYS or SYSTEM and if so, which? (There are commands in the DMP to create the user I used to create the DMP.)

2. Is there anything else I should set up before I execute the IMPort?

Thanks!!

if you have a FULL export, please use the user SYSTEM to import it. (never use SYS to do an export or import!)
    just make sure you have created the same tablespaces as in the source-DB, or oracle will try to create these tablespaces using the same path and filenames as there. this might not be desired.
    If you have precreated the tablespaces, use the parameter IGNORE=y to tell the import just to skipp errors and not fail at the first error.
    Have a look at the logfile afterwards to check if you have imported all objects you want.
    ^/\x

Cool SUCCESS!!!

I sucessfully imported my data today!!!!

Thanks to everbody who helped!!

Since I was after the table data the first thing I did was write a VB program and dumped all the table data to XML files. Now, if I lose the database I can read the data, including the numbers, from my XML files!

Thanks again!

can u help me

can u guide me how to extract the .Dmp file .

vprassanna:
    do you mena 'how to create the .dmp file' or 'how to extract data from the .dmp file' ?
    which version do you refer to?
    br
    Martin
    ^/\x