Hi !

We are running through a strange and weird error running our client application. I will show you our sqlnet.log and give you detailed information about our environment.

sqlnet.log
==========
Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to:
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ) (PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleORCL)(ARGS='(DESCRIPT ION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')))(CONNE CT_DATA=(SID=ORCL)(CID=(PROGRAM=D:\CrmWa\faber.exe )(HOST=SERV-IFV)(USER=Administrator))))

VERSION INFORMATION:
TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
Time: 01-SEP-03 23:24:09
Tracing not turned on.
Tns error struct:
nr err code: 0
ns main err code: 12560
TNS-12560: TNS: protocol adapter error
ns secondary err code: 0
nt main err code: 530
TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
nt secondary err code: 0
nt OS err code: 0

Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to:
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ) (PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleORCL)(ARGS='(DESCRIPT ION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')))(CONNE CT_DATA=(SID=ORCL)(CID=(PROGRAM=D:\CrmWa\faber.exe )(HOST=SERV-IFV)(USER=Administrator))))

and goes on and on...

Database Version: Oracle 8.1.5 EE for Windows
OS Version: Windows 2000 on a PC
Application technology: Visual FoxPro
Connection type: ODBC using Oracle 8.1.5 driver

The client software (PROGRAM=D:\CrmWa\faber.exe) is connecting fine in the server, and as long as I keep using it it is ok. Is only after a few minutes of inactivity that it apparently disconnects.

As you can see, the connection arguments are indicating HOST=SERV-IFV (which is MY client machine - the SERV_DB is the real DB server!!!) and USER=Administrator (this is the user I am logged) when this problem occurs.

There isnt a database on SERV-IFV (thats my client machine), neither is there any mention of it in the tnsnames.ora. TNSNAMES.ORA points to SERV_DB. I don't know where it is getting this stuff from, but its not tnsnames.ora.

I need to find out why:
========================
1. The client disconnects from the server if the application is inactive for a couple of time
2. When the client tries to re-connect on the database why it uses wrong parameters for HOST and USER.

We created a new system variable called TNS_ADMIN and set TNS_ADMIN=X:\*oracle_location*\network\admin to be sure the right tnsnames.ora is being used.

We are analyzing the firewall to realize if the firewall is terminating the connections or not.

Please, do you have any other suggestions? Where I can find more information about this error?

I tried ALL Oracle searches but could not find anything. I tried Google but did not find any solution for this problem.

Please, is urgent.

Many thanks,
Chris
christiano.goncalves@alcoa.com.br