Unanswered: Newbie Admin Help

Not sure how misleading the Subject of this post is... anyway here's the situation. Right now I am in college and I completed one database course which detailed the normal forms (1NF - 3NF, higher normal forms weren't mentioned), ERDs, referential integrity and the other related materials (basically all the basics you would need to know). After that we started doing SQL and covered table creation, inserts, deletes, updates, creating keys (primary/foreign) and finished up the class with a whole lot of SELECTs, inner and outter joins. After I finished that class (and another trimester later) I am now in another Database class which covers PL/SQL, cursors, views, indices, stored procedures and triggers... I probably missed a few things but I digress. At this point in my educational/working career I have worked a lot with MSSQL and MySQL (I have installed MSSQL and MySQL at home and I've gotten them working could create databases and query them etc) Now I think it's time to do this with Oracle... I plan on getting the OCA certification since I will be ready for it before I graduate and I would like to know how to setup a basic Oracle server. In my class we covered creating users, roles and permission; now I just need to know how to set up Oracle. This is basically what I want: a book or tutorial that covers the setup of Oracle as the Database and that's it. I installed Oracle at home and I was thinking - "I'll just install everything" but it turned out that everything was too much to look at. I don't want directory services or anything fancy. All I want to do is create a database, create users, permissions and do a little PSP. That's it. Next class I take will be a class on administration and it will cover this stuff, I would just like to be ready before the class and have that just be a review. So any pointers or what I should do?

Thanks

Heh... that was a lot of random things... hopefully someone can follow it.

Re: Newbie Admin Help

the full oracle-documentation is available at OracleTechNet
    I would suggest to start with the Concepts Guide to get familiar with the thinking of Oracle. also a Step-By-Step installation Guide is available.
    ^/\x

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it. Web Link is really appreciated since I am on a tight budget.

Cheers!

hi,

for using Oracle, it is reuired to install either the standard database version or the enterprise edition or the personal edition. For private home use the personal edition will do.
    Installing the database software will do some installations you don't need, but the are shipped with the product and don't bother the database if not configures, since you will not be using them.
    On installation a startdatabase is created for you, so there should be no problem. Als the SQLNET configuration assistant will be started and that configures all necessary SQLNET config's for you.
    After that you should be able to use the database. If you want to set up your own database yourself, you should read the administrator guide and follow the steps there.
    Basicly it comes to this :
    1 create a service on your machine for Oracle. This includes the instance, which will allocate memory for Oracle.
    2. create a database, which will require scripts you'll have to make before creating the database
    3. Create the datadictionary
    4. configure your listener and SQLNET.
    Then you are ready to use the database. Looks simple, but there are some requirements, so beware.

Good luck.
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

Thanks for the reply! I was actually considering my OCA after I graduate as I should be ready for it by then...