Unanswered: Data Device too big Sql6.5

I receive a Backupdevice size=30 Mbytes as full database backup

i create the database with "fromload option"

the execute the restore procedure send the error because the original databse device size is 2500 Mbytes but the database is not too big

who i can restore the database with a samller database device?

The database has to be restored with files the same size as the database that was backed up.

Certainly but this file has a size 1000 times bigger than the needed size and it does not fit in my server.

The question its: if exist some procedure to restore the database in a Database device smaller, but sufficiently.

its impossible?

Provided Answers: 11
    Use the following command to get some information on the original database:

load headeronly from (device)

This may give you some ideas on how the original was laid out. Also, pay attention to the details of the error you get back from the load database command. This is where it should tell you how big and how many devices there were on the original.

On 6.5 there is a procedure called sp_help_revedatabase. Unlike 2000, on SQL 6.5 you need to have an existing database, that has been built the same way as the original database. Run the procedure on the original server, and take its output, paste it in a query window to create the new database on the new server... After which, the restore should be a snap. This is off the top of my head, so you may want to look it up on BOL, or a search engine for the exact process.

This is assuming you have access to the original server that the database was dumped. If not, sorry.
    Last edited by pinion; 09-30-03 at 20:59.

thanks i´ll try it