Unanswered: can anyone suggest a good oracle forms reference?

like the title goes, i'm just looking for a good reference to the ways of the oracle form.

i've been having trouble setting up forms to query multiple tables - master/details/etc. just doesn't seem to work!

thanks for your time!

calico

Re: can anyone suggest a good oracle forms reference?

Oracle forms course guide is the best I think to learn about that. If you can get it you will be able to study on your own. That covers the basics of forms, but when you cet into real programming you will have to refer the help that comes with forms for any thing you need.

Originally posted by calico
    like the title goes, i'm just looking for a good reference to the ways of the oracle form.

i've been having trouble setting up forms to query multiple tables - master/details/etc. just doesn't seem to work!

thanks for your time!

calico

i do have a copy of the oracle course notes. but they don't seem to cover the problems i outlined above...

can you even point me in the direction of some examples of using detail blocks in queries.

Well creating master detail applications is a big topic but I try to make it short.

All the parent blockes should be created in the order of the relationship. Master blocks should be created first and shoudl be in the top of the navigator window.

Lets say that there are 2 blocks MST_BLK and CHD_BLK.
    MST_BLK is the master block and CHD_BLK is the child.

You have to first create MST_BLK and put the parent keys that are getting linkied to the CHD_BLK as block items.
    Then go on to create the CHD_BLK block. If you are using a wizard there is a place to specily the maser detail relationship. There you select the master block as MST_BLK. Then you have to specify what items in CHD_BLK should link with what items in MST_BLK.

As you build the relationship it displays the relationship at the bottom. Then you say finish. So you get the relationship between the 2 blocks.

Hope you are continue from here, If not tell.
    Good luck.
    Suren.

i do have a copy of the oracle course notes. but they don't seem to cover the problems i outlined above...

can you even point me in the direction of some examples of using detail blocks in queries.

cheers for the comments...

all this is no problem. but i've set my form up so that fields in each block that i want to query are duplicated and visible on another canvas. so that when you click enter_query mode, it takes you immediately to another canvas. however, when i use this query canvas to search it doesn't work!

the items you want to duplicate should be done using base table false items. And synchronize that screen items with the base table true item. there is a property in the item to set this.

Then make all these screen items quert allowed to false. So when you go to enter query these items are lockes from navigation.

Best way is to make all duplicate items diaply items, to reduce complexities.

Suren.

cheers for the comments...

all this is no problem. but i've set my form up so that fields in each block that i want to query are duplicated and visible on another canvas. so that when you click enter_query mode, it takes you immediately to another canvas. however, when i use this query canvas to search it doesn't work!