Unanswered: Network FM quit working "not multiuser, not found" etc

we were running a datatabase under fm 5 on an win XP desktop, that occasionally we would open over the network on our laptops. the file is set to multi-user (not hidden), TCP/IP is enabled. using the "hosts" button never showed the database. we would open from the windows network shared folder that the file was in - it would show the filemaker network squiggly, and ran fine. (i know this is NOT the way to share filemaker files - but the host button showed nothing)

then we did one of the inumerable windows updates, and now file sharing doesn't work at all - (we had to install something called "netbui" to get windows network to function) now, no matter how i try to share the database, the laptops show the message "host not found, file is busy, file not multiuser" or something like that. tried the different network protocols, put the database in a non-shared folder, turned filesharing off, tried putting in the specific IP of the host in the "hosts" dialog etc etc etc. nothing works.

any one have any ideas?

In our system here (we're using FM server for 80+ files and 40+ users), I have found that it is hard to see anything in the "Host" view unless the Host IP address is obtained or known (specify host). Try this. Assign each user's computer with a specific class C IP address (192.168.0.1 thru 255). Then set each user's FM application's prefrences (Edit>Prefernces>Application>Plug In) check the LocalDataAccessCompanion and the RemoteDataAccessCompanion.
    Good Luck

Re: Network FM quit working "not multiuser, not found" etc

Originally posted by karl88
    any one have any ideas?
    Hi, karl88! I'm a mac guy but I'd check your FMP plug-in settings. There's FMP plug-ins for local and remote users. Try enabling either/both until you get something that works. The double-clicking of a multi-user db used to be the standard way of accessing a db in a shared environment. I think the HOSTS button appeared in FMP 5.0 and at some point I think they disabled the double-click method.

Oopps.. sorry, Rick just told you to do that, too. --ST

i tried all the conventional things

thanks so much for the replies. i should have be still more explicit in my initial post - i have the plugin boxes checked for local and remote data access. i did a pretty thorough search of the boards and filemaker sites and tried everything i could find - in various combinations. we have a d-link wireless router that assigns IP addresses with DCHP - i did not try assigning specific IP addresses to the macnines.. that's a bit more windows network fiddling than i have experience with. (but i'll give it a try) i did burrow down in the windows dialogs and get the IP address of each of the machines. i can ping the IP's and tracert them both directions. the problem is nothing works to get filemaker to host/serve. it did work for a while. i'm guessing that the windows security updates changed something but i can't find any referances to it.

of course, it works -- host button and dbl-click -- on my macs at home. i'm really flustrated with the windows machines but i must find a solution. TIA

I know your frustration with Windows machines, I have the same issues with Mac's. I think the key to this maybe the 'wireless' network. I recommend that you post this question on the FileMaker forums.

http://fmforums.com/