Lightbulb Unanswered: Multiple Field Query

hi

Im trying to make a query on a single table where i will be querying multiple fields which are Status, Tech, Site and LogType. Basically I have a form created where i can enter the data to query the database, the problem is that if i do not enter the criteria into all of the fields then I receive back an empty database and if I do enter all the criteria into the database in only actually querys the database based on the 1st criteria.

Below is the sql statement i am using:

SELECT *
    FROM Customers

WHERE ((([Customers]![Site])=[Forms]![Search]![Site]) OR (([Forms]![Search]![Site]) Is Null)

WHERE ((([Customers]![Status])=[Forms]![Search]![Status])OR (([Forms]![Search]![Status]) Is Null)

AND (([Customers]![LogType])=[Forms]![Search]![LogType])OR (([Forms]![Search]![LogType]) Is Null)

AND (([Customers]![Tech])=[Forms]![Search]![Tech]) OR (([Forms]![Search]![Tech]) Is Null);

please help if you can.

Jim

Hi Jim,

That SQL statement looks odd to me:

1) There are two "WHERE" clauses.

2) There are two occurances of the "OR" keyword with no space before it.

3) There are unbalanced parenthesis.

Your logic seems correct, so I think your problems may be due to syntax.

JT

Lightbulb

my mistake I separated the statements so it would be more easily viewable in this. but say i only wanted to use 2 fields im still getting the same problem results would be

IFsite=aub and status=closed it brings back results where site = aub but shows both status as open and closed. the same goes for status=open

if site=null and status = closed or open it brings back the correct respective results as in all sites either open or closed

if i make site=aub and status=null the results show all sites instead of just aub and shows both open and closed status otherwords the full database.

This is how the sql code looks exactly

SELECT *
    FROM Customers
    WHERE (((Customers.Site)=[Forms]![Search]![Site])) OR (((IsNull([Forms]![Search]![Site])))) AND ((Customers.Status)=[Forms]![Search]![Status])) OR (((IsNull([Forms]![Search]![Status]))));

Any ideas?
    Last edited by minihood; 09-26-03 at 11:04.

The parenthesis aren't quite right, try this

SELECT *
    FROM Customers
    WHERE ((((Customers.Site)=[Forms]![Search]![Site]) OR (IsNull([Forms]![Search]![Site]))) AND (((Customers.Status)=[Forms]![Search]![Status]) OR (IsNull([Forms]![Search]![Status]))));