Unanswered: Tns - 12560 : Tns : Protocol Adapter Error

Dear Sir,

I have one server with Windows NT 4.0 with SP 6.0 and with ORACLE 8.0.6.3 as the RDBMS. The IP address of the server is '200.200.XXX.XXX'. I have changed the IP to '192.168.XXX.XXX' . But now after changing the IP, TNS listener service is not starting up. I have updated the hosts file with new IP. When I checked the listener.log file the following error is displayed.

Listening on: (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\GT1.WORL Dipc))
    Listening on: (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\GT1ipc))
    Attempted to listen on: (DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_TIMEOUT=10)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCO L=TCP)(HOST=gt1dev)(PORT=1521)))
    TNS-12560: TNSrotocol adapter error
    TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
    32-bit Windows Error: 50: Unknown error

In this server two network is provided and it is teamed together to a single network address.

Another feature I have observed is if the IP address is changed from 200.200.xxx.xxx to 200.200.xxx.x01, It is working. But from '200.200.XXX.XXX' to 192.168.XXX.XXX , it is not working.

Can somebody please help me to sort out this issue?.

Regards
    Dinesh

hi,

does your listener.ora contain any entries for TCP ?
    If not add one with the hostname instead of the ip-address. In this way the ip-address can be changed without having to change the listener. Comment the others out to get it working.

Hope this helps
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

Dear Sir,

I will paste my listener.ora. It has got TCP enteries. Pls go thru and comment.

# H:\ORANT\NET80\ADMIN\LISTENER.ORA Configuration File:H:\orant\net80\admin\listener.ora
    # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

LISTENER =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = GT1.WORLD))
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = GT1))
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = gt1dev)(PORT = 1521))
    )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (SDU = 32768)
    (SID_NAME = GT1)
    (ORACLE_HOME = H:\orant)
    )
    )

Regards
    Dinesh

hi,

try commenting out the lines for IPC by using # in front of each line to be commented out and retry starting the listener.
    Otherwise, if available, try using the config assistant for the listener in the local machine.

Hope this helps
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

Dear Sir,

Even after modification I am getting the same error. I attach the latest Listener.ora for your reference. Please help me.

# H:\ORANT\NET80\ADMIN\LISTENER.ORA Configuration File:H:\orant\net80\admin\listener.ora
    # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

LISTENER =

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (ORACLE_HOME = H:\ORANT)
    (SID_NAME = GT1)
    )
    )

Originally posted by dinesh_sk
    LISTENER =
    Has the HOST = gt1dev been change in your DNS lookup, and has you DNS cache been flushed.

Try also chang the (HOST = gt1dev) to (HOST = 192.168.XXX.XXX)
    Jim P.

Supoorting Oracle, MSSQL7, Sybase 8, & Pervasive. Confusion Reigns

Dear Sir,

You mean DNS look up in Windows IP settings?. I can't understand about 'DNS cache flush'. Pls elobrate on this. Where and how?.

Even after changing from Host name to IP , the same error persists.

Pls help me to sort out this issue.

Regards
    Dinesh

hi,

the dns thnings have to do with resolving the ip-address or hostname. When calling an IP-address or hostname it has to be resolved by something, this is called a DNS (dynamic name server). Problem with DNS is, that it caches the addresses it has resolved in the last period. So at first, when it knows nothings it starts yelling on the network for a name or ip-address like ' Hey is there somebody out there on the network with the ip-address X.X.X.X or name xxxx ?'
    When the computer replies, DNS stores the location in it's cache. When changing names or ip-addresses, DNS thinks it knows it location, but that has been moved, so you are redirected in the wrong way. Flushing the cache of the DNS, empties the cache so DNS has to resolve the name or ip-address before knowing the location.
    Try contacting your network administrator.

Good luck
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst