Unanswered: Access Limitations

Hi,

I'm working on a database application for which I'm considering Access as the back end. The system will have upto 30 concurrent users, and upto 50000 records in all for about 10 different tables. I'd like to know how good Access would be for such a system. Let me know if there's anything else I'd need to add to clarify anything.

Thanks.

Re: Access Limitations

Originally posted by Big Bubba
    Hi,

I'm working on a database application for which I'm considering Access as the back end. The system will have upto 30 concurrent users, and upto 50000 records in all for about 10 different tables. I'd like to know how good Access would be for such a system. Let me know if there's anything else I'd need to add to clarify anything.

Thanks.
    Probably not. Figure the roughly the numer of characters/bytes that each row will hold, then multiply that by 50,000. If that number comes up anywhere over .5GB forget about it.

You have a 1GB limit to access that cannot be worked around and that 1GB limit includes the data, queries, forms, reports and so on.

In addition record locking can cause real nightmares. You can always front-end some other database (mySql, SQL7, Oracle...) with an Access DB and ODBC calls. That is what a lot of companies do.

That's just my $0.02 for this conversation.
    Jim P.

Supoorting Oracle, MSSQL7, Sybase 8, & Pervasive. Confusion Reigns

Thanks a lot for the reply. I was planning to use front ends in VB and asp for the application and doing all the queries through code. The 1 GB limit seems a little tight though. So I'll probably just go with SQL Server for this one. Thanks again for the reply.