Unanswered: Error "Insufficient memory for this Operation"

I have a Pentium 4 PC with 512MB RAM running Windows 98 and Paradox 5.0. The database has approx 274,000 records. When I attempt to restructure the table (i.e. change the datatype of the primary key from Long Integer "I" to Autoincrement "+" I receive the error "Insufficient memory for this Operation." I ran IDAPICFG and increased MAXBUF parameter from 2048 to 10240, with no success. Any idea on what could be causing this? Is their a ceiling for the MAXBUF parameter?

likely temporary files storage

Make sure there is room in your private directory for a table about times as large as the working table. The temporary files created during restructuring require a great deal of hard disk space.

This is a new computer, Pentium 4, 512MB RAM, 20GB hard disk space, plenty of room.

By the way, I tried tweaking the MAXBUF setting in IDAPICFG. The default is 2048, I incrementally increased to 10240, to no avail.

1) is the 20GB disk configured as one drive?

2) is the Paradox private directory set for that drive or could it be pointing to the network.

The message is not about RAM and Rarely about buffers. Try this use a query to select all the records in your database, then try and restructure the answer table. Depending on the number of indices and dependencies on that table the restructuring may require more than the obvious amount of room. If you are new to paradox and don't want to do a lot of exploring here is a fix that will work but it is multistepped.

1) do a query on just the primary key. Save the table and restructure it so that the key auto increments.

2) Go back in and add fields to the table to match those in the current table. (you can use the borrow structure button and delete the duplicate primary key.)

3) From the menu select tools| Utilities| Add using the existing table as the From table and the new table as the to table and use update and not append. All the records in the new table will be filled in with data from the old (existing table).

4) Rename the old table and then rename the new table with the old table name.

That will work regardless of the issues if there is room on the drive.