Unanswered: IMP-00010 not a valid export file, header failed verification

HI,

I have eported a table from Oracle9i database. When Iam trying to import it to a user in Oracle8i database Iam getting the error..

IMP-00010 not a valid export file, header failed verification.

Is it possible to import the data into Oracle8i database that is taken in Oracle9i database?
    I think SQL*Loader will help me?. but i want to use my dump file.

My Oracle9i version is 9.2.0.1.0 and Oracle8i version is 8.1.7.0.0.

Pls tell me how to import the data into Oracle8i database.

kkravi

Hi,

My understanding is that exports are not backward compatible.

So you can't import a 9i export into 8i but you can do it the other way round.

Rgs,
    Breen.

Originally posted by Breen
    Hi,

My understanding is that exports are not backward compatible.

So you can't import a 9i export into 8i but you can do it the other way round.

Rgs,
    Breen.
    From the Metalink Note:176668.1

Solution Description
    --------------------
    You must use "exp" and "imp" utilities of 8.1.7 database to take export from a 9.0.1 database and import into an 8.1.7 database. You also need to use a connect string or service name for the 9.0.1 database along with the "exp" command. Using a service name for the 8.1.7 database is optional.
    You also need to make sure that catexp.sql from Oracle 9.0.1 is run for the 9.0.1 database and catexp.sql from Oracle 8.1.7 software is run for the 8.1.7 database before performing export and import respectively. You DO NOT need to run catexp7.sql in these 2 databases.
    Explanation
    -----------

9.0.1 export dump file cannot be read by a lower version of imp utility. Hence, the 8.1.7 "imp" utility could not read the 9.0.1 export dump file and generates IMP-10 and IMP-0. Export dump is a binary file and therefore, if you do not FTP it in BINARY mode, it could generate the same IMP-10 and
    IMP-0 errors. In this case, we made sure that ftp was done in binary mode.
    References
    ----------
    1. [NOTE:132904.1]: Compatibility Matrix for Export & Import Between Different Oracle Versions

@2. TAR#1966944.995

Additional Search Words
    -----------------------

exp 9i imp 817; exp 9.0.1 imp 8.1.7; 9.0.1 exp for 8.1.7 imp;

export from 9i; import into 8i; export of 9.0.1 database into 8.1.
    Jim P.

Supoorting Oracle, MSSQL7, Sybase 8, & Pervasive. Confusion Reigns

Re: IMP-00010 not a valid export file, header failed verification

I tried to copy 'exp.exe' and all the 'ora*.DLL' from Oracle8i "bin" directory to the Oracle9i 'bin' directory and tried to run the exe file to take the export.
    but it is giving the error "EXP-00056". there is no documentation for this error.

Pls tell me the procedure to use 'exp' utility of Oracle8.1.7 to take the export of Oracle9.0.1 database.

kkravi

Originally posted by kkravi
    HI,

I have eported a table from Oracle9i database. When Iam trying to import it to a user in Oracle8i database Iam getting the error..

IMP-00010 not a valid export file, header failed verification.

Is it possible to import the data into Oracle8i database that is taken in Oracle9i database?
    I think SQL*Loader will help me?. but i want to use my dump file.

My Oracle9i version is 9.2.0.1.0 and Oracle8i version is 8.1.7.0.0.

Pls tell me how to import the data into Oracle8i database.

kkravi

hi,

to use the 8.1.7 version of exp, simply go to the shell or DOS prompt and change directory to the ORACLE_HOME817\bin directory and start imp from there.
    Or change the ORACLE_HOME to the 817 Oracle_home by setting the ORACLE_HOME env variable.

Good luck
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

you are right. but my problem is what if my oracle9i database exists in a domain other than Oracle8i database. how to import 9i data to 8i.

kkravi

Originally posted by evanhattem
    hi,

to use the 8.1.7 version of exp, simply go to the shell or DOS prompt and change directory to the ORACLE_HOME817\bin directory and start imp from there.
    Or change the ORACLE_HOME to the 817 Oracle_home by setting the ORACLE_HOME env variable.

Good luck

you have to install ORACLE 8i-client (admin) on a computer where you can access the 9i-DB (SQL*NET access is enough, doesn't need to be the same machine).
    there you can do the exp - copy file (make sure it's binary copy) - imp
    ^/\x