Question Unanswered: grouping category's

Good Afternoon
    I am looking for someone to help me with setting up summing totals in my budget spreadsheet. I have a column for:

Starting Balance
    Category Debit Credit Total 100.00
    ATM 10.00 90.00
    dinner 40.00 50.00
    ATM 10.00 40.00
    dinner 10.00 30.00
    gas 15.00 15.00

Now how do I automatically at the end of the month group these together and get a total for; ATM, Dinner, Gas...
    I have already started playing with the pie chart to show where my money goes, but I would like to have it calculate each category as we go through the month. I hope that you can understand and someone can help.

Thank you

Lightbulb

Use the "SumIf" Function: Assuming that all entries are made in two columns (Item [A] and Charge [B]) it would go something like this:
    =SumIf(A1:A20,"Dinner",B1:B20) This formula will look into column A rows 1-20 for the word "Dinner" and return from Column B rows 1-20 the corresponding value.

Talking Thanks

That worked Great thanks for the help!

Originally posted by RickKnight
    Use the "SumIf" Function: Assuming that all entries are made in two columns (Item [A] and Charge [B]) it would go something like this:
    =SumIf(A1:A20,"Dinner",B1:B20) This formula will look into column A rows 1-20 for the word "Dinner" and return from Column B rows 1-20 the corresponding value.