Unanswered: DB2 -> Visio ER Diagram

I need to create an ER Diagram of a DB2/400 database. I believe it is possible to "reverse engineer" the db in Visio, but I am not sure what is required to do so (ODBC driver?).

Also, if anyone knows of another way to create an ER Diagram from DB2...I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks.

Use ErWin.

Hi,
    I user the SyBase PowerDisigner.

Abel.

Thanks for the help, I will check out both of those.

I just tried it with Visio 2000. You have to create a new diagram: File => New => Database => Database Model Diagram.

Go to Visio Help and do a search on DB2 for instructions.

I could not get it to work (although it could see all my catalogued DB2 databases) because when I tried reverse engineering, it was looking for a table called SYSIBM.SQLTABLES. The real table name is SYSIBM.SYSTABLES. I tried to create a view named SYSIBM.SQLTABLES, but DB2 would not allow me to create an object with SYSIBM schema.

If you have a newer version of Visio, or can find a patch, you might give it try.
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 09-27-03 at 16:31.

Thanks Marcus,

The problem I'm having is that I can change the "Installed Visio Driver" to "IBM DB2 Universal", but the "Data Source" option doesn't give me any DB2 option, and when I try to create a new source, I still don't get any DB2 option (I get everything else from Oracle to MySQL).

Do I maybe need to install a DB2 ODBC driver, if so, where might I find it.

Thanks.

You are correct. First install the Administrative client for DB2. You can just download and install the Administration Client v8 FP3. Fixpaks for the Clients includes all the code you need (even if you never installed the GA code before). No license is required for the Clients.
    http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...oad.d2w/report

Once you install the client (or if already installed), use the DB2 Client Configuration Assistant to install drivers and catalog to the database (remote or local) that you want to access. Once you get the DB2 Client talking to the DB2 database, you should be able to work with Visio.

I just tried the reverse engineering (creates an ERD) of a DB2 database using Visio Professional 2002, and it seems to work pretty neat. Especially if one doesn't own a copy of Erwin, etc.

Thanks again Marcus, I think that is exactly what I was looking for.

Visio 2003 and DB2

Hi!

Found your entries very helpful. But I am having problems getting a connection to our AS400. I am trying Reverse Engineering and I have selected the IBM DB2 Universal Database Driver with a new data source I created. That didn't make any problems, but if I go on I get asked my username and password and when I enter them and continue nothing hapens!

Greets Conny