Unanswered: How do you display data horizontally on a report?

Here a report that show the data vertically by grouping the data together.

http://www.members.cox.net/tripnotic...CodeReport.jpg

I would like to show it horizontally. Here is a sample

http://www.members.cox.net/tripnotic...odeReport2.jpg

There is a code for each one. Example
    Ultra = 1
    Very = 2
    High = 3
    Medium = 4
    Low = 5

The percentage is taken by total of the row and divided by each column for it.

I would like to display a zero for the column that doesn't have any for a specific month.

Here is my query.

SELECT mwtrn.[Procedure Code], Facility.FacilityName, DatePart("m",[Date From]) AS MonthFrom, DatePart("m",[Date To]) AS MonthTo, (DatePart("d",[Date To])-DatePart("d",[Date From]))+1 AS NumberofDays, DatePart("yyyy",[Date From]) AS YearFrom, DatePart("yyyy",[Date To]) AS YearTo, Month.MonthText, MWPRO.[Code 3], mwtrn.[Date From], mwtrn.[Date To]

FROM [Month], (Facility INNER JOIN mwcas ON Facility.FacilityCode = mwcas.Facility) INNER JOIN (MWPRO INNER JOIN mwtrn ON MWPRO.[Code 1] = mwtrn.[Procedure Code]) ON mwcas.[Case Number] = mwtrn.[Case Number]

GROUP BY mwtrn.[Procedure Code], Facility.FacilityName, DatePart("m",[Date From]), DatePart("m",[Date To]), (DatePart("d",[Date To])-DatePart("d",[Date From]))+1, DatePart("yyyy",[Date From]), DatePart("yyyy",[Date To]), Month.MonthText, MWPRO.[Code 3], Facility.FacilityID, Month.MonthValue, mwtrn.[Date From], mwtrn.[Date To]

HAVING (((DatePart("m",[Date From]))=[Forms]![ExpenseForm]![cboMonth]) AND ((DatePart("m",[Date To]))=[Forms]![ExpenseForm]![cboMonth]) AND ((DatePart("yyyy",[Date From]))=[Forms]![ExpenseForm]![cboYear]) AND ((DatePart("yyyy",[Date To]))=[Forms]![ExpenseForm]![cboYear]) AND ((MWPRO.[Code 3])="1" Or (MWPRO.[Code 3])="2" Or (MWPRO.[Code 3])="3" Or (MWPRO.[Code 3])="4" Or (MWPRO.[Code 3])="5") AND ((Facility.FacilityID) Like [Forms]![ExpenseForm]![lstFacilityID]) AND ((Month.MonthValue)=[Forms]![ExpenseForm]![cboMonth]));

i hope my explanation is clear. Thanks in advance.

Ok, I create a query that will work but I was wondering, can I put a custom query in a report.

SELECT Count(qryProcedureCode.[Procedure Code]) AS [CountOfProcedure Code], qryProcedureCode.[Code 3]
    FROM qryProcedureCode
    GROUP BY qryProcedureCode.[Code 3]
    HAVING (((qryProcedureCode.[Code 3])="2"));

Dang, creating custom query will not work for me. Anyone got any ideas to make the data to display horizontally?

The only way that I know of is to design the table structure to reflect the results in a horizontal fashion ... BTW, just showing a report doesn't impart the tricks used to generate it ... Generally you can't do this if the # of columns is unknown but, if they are finite then you can plan for a MAX and proceed accordingly ... Another thought would be for a subreport that does the same thing ...

The column is finite. I did some searching on google and someone did much about the subreports. I not very familiar with the subreport. I have try it though but I can't seem to display it horizontally. How do you go about doing it?

DOH! Try a tabular subreport ... or a crosstab report ... I've not used them myself but they can be done ...

Originally posted by M Owen
    DOH! Try a tabular subreport ... or a crosstab report ... I've not used them myself but they can be done ...
    I have try it and it won't work for me. I'm doing VBA now, I think this is the best way to get what I want exactly but I can't connect to the query via VBA recordset method.

Dim conndb as ADODB.Connection
    Dim rsqryProCode as ADODB.Recordset

Set conndb = CurrentProject.Connection
    Set rsqryProCode = New ADODB.Recoredset

rsqryProCode.Open "qryProcedureCode", conndb

The error is" Invalid SQL statement; expected 'DELETE', 'INSERT', 'PROCEDURE', 'SELECT', or 'UPDATE'.

I can't see what the problem is with this connection code. I manually click on the query and it work but the VBA code doesn't. I have been using this for a half a year now and I cna't what wrong with it.

Lans,

I do believe that you have to return a recordset on a connection Execute to run a "stored procedure" in Access.

It just an 'Select' query, so it should work with the code. Anyways, what do you mean by a return recordset?

.Execute returns an optional "Records Affected" recordset as a result of running an SQL action query.

Originally posted by M Owen
    .Execute returns an optional "Records Affected" recordset as a result of running an SQL action query.
    Sorry, i 'm still confuse with this. CAn you write me a sample code for it. conndb.Execute(CommandText as String, [RecordsAffected], [Options as Long = -1]) as Recordset <----what do i have to put in here?

Well, I have gone a different route. I would have a column for each ProcedureCode in the query like iif([Code 3] = 5), 1, 0), then I would add this up. HOpe this make sense to anyone is reading this and interested in doing this.

You don't "put" anything there ... That is the return value (it returns a recordset) ... So:

Dim MyRecSet As ADODB.Recordset

MyRecSet=conndb.Execute "qryProcedureCode", ,AdCmdText

Re: How do you display data horizontally on a report?

Did you ever find a solution?
    SteveH

Re: How do you display data horizontally on a report?

Originally posted by SteveH
    Did you ever find a solution?
    Yes, I did..

here an example of my data look like.

ProcedureCode FacilityName Code 3
    PT2423 North 1
    OT2342 West 2
    ST2342 EAST 3
    OT2342 South 4
    ST5353 West 1

I would create a query for it with a custom field.
    1=Ultra, 2 = Very, 3=High, 4=Medium

In the query, I would have an custom field for Ultra, Very, High, and Medium.

Ultra: IIf([Code 3] = "1"), 1,0) Very:IIf([Code 3] = "2"), 1,0), etc..
    This code is saying, if the field for Code 3 is equal to 1 then put a number 1 else put 0.

Do this for the others for the custom field.. Once I'm done with it, I would add it up for each rows and group it by facility name on the report. I hope this is clear for you