Unanswered: Howto display multiple child records in a single report line

Hello,

I have two tables, a parent and a child. THere is a 1 to many relationship from the parent to the child.

I have a simple report that lists the contents of the parent table. I want one field to be a concatenation of data from the related child record(s).

This is currently working by using calling a function e.g. =GetChildRecordValues([ParentId]) that runs a parameter query and iterates through the results, and returns a string with the concatenated child record values.

I suspect that this is a slow process and wanted to know if there might be a higher performance way of doing this.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

I sure can't think of one ... The only thing I've been able to do is to prequery for results in anticipation of user request for the same ... This can be made into an unattended process ...

Thanks for the input. It appears this is a (common?) problem with Access. I've benchmarked a few alternative solutions and nothing *easy* helps except optimizing the underlying queries as much as possible.

Data caching, rolling up summaries, etc. seem to be the only viable solutions but too much overhead for this particular application.

Ah well,

Tim