Thread: Control file

Question Unanswered: Control file

Hi,
    I am a starter at Oracle 'n can sbdy. plz tell me how to view the tablespace,data file 'n redo log file info from the control file 'coz the possible views i can get for control file are v$controlfile 'n v$controlfile_record_section which do not have this info....
    waitin' for a reply!
    P

Re: Control file

Hi Pooja,
    You can get all this info from init.ora or it may be initsid.ora where "sid" has to be substituted with your database sid. This file is located in oracle\admin\<sid>\pfile folder.
    If you have anything more to ask, feel free to let me know.

B.Suryaprakash

Originally posted by poojajt
    Hi,
    I am a starter at Oracle 'n can sbdy. plz tell me how to view the tablespace,data file 'n redo log file info from the control file 'coz the possible views i can get for control file are v$controlfile 'n v$controlfile_record_section which do not have this info....
    waitin' for a reply!
    P

hi,

you can also check:

dba_tablespaces
    dba_data_files
    v$logfile

Hope this helps
    Edwin van Hattem
    OCP DBA / System analyst

v$controlfile

well Surya,
    its not abt the data that i needa know....am jus' curious that since this data is also stored in the control file how do i access taht data thru' control files only...the init.ora parameter file has the data but not abt the data file 'n redo file I've created for my database which is recorded in teh control file....
    ok...am confusing stuff.....all i need is to access the data in controlfile 'n i don't find any specific v$ view or table specifically tailored to access data from the control file......
    my prof told me that i cud access this by dumping the data of control fiel to a trace file 'n then viewing it...i think that's the only way to do it.
    pooja.

Re: v$controlfile

Hi Pooja,

Actually you cannot read all the info in a control file, what your prof said is also right, you can get a script generated, which will help you in recreating the control file in case you loose the current control file.
    The command to get this trace file generated is:

Alter database backup controlfile to trace;

After executing this command, check in the folder for trace files for the viewing the generated file. It contains information which has been specified in the init.ora file, but no runtime data stored in the control file are backed up into it.

B.Suryaprakash

Originally posted by poojajt
    well Surya,
    its not abt the data that i needa know....am jus' curious that since this data is also stored in the control file how do i access taht data thru' control files only...the init.ora parameter file has the data but not abt the data file 'n redo file I've created for my database which is recorded in teh control file....
    ok...am confusing stuff.....all i need is to access the data in controlfile 'n i don't find any specific v$ view or table specifically tailored to access data from the control file......
    my prof told me that i cud access this by dumping the data of control fiel to a trace file 'n then viewing it...i think that's the only way to do it.
    pooja.