Unanswered: Insert into dynamic field

I am having trouble trying to insert into a dynamic field.

This is the code I have at the moment it should hopefully be self explanatory.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

declare @field as varchar(15)

select @field = ColumnA from Table1 where ColumnB = @value1

insert into Table2 (@field) values (@value2)

--------------------------------------------------------------
    This sets @field to the result of the select statement (ie the value that was in column a when ColumnB = @value1). That much works I know for sure.

The problem occurs when I try to insert into Table2 based on that information. It doesn't like me specifying the Column to insert into Table2 as @field. I have tried doing all types of conversions and have still not managed to find a solution. I am hoping someone is able to help me.

Thanks in advance
    Dan

Provided Answers: 1
    You can't submit a parameter as a field name. You'll have to cast the entire INSERT statement as dynamic sql:

declare @sqlString varchar(500)
    set @sqlString = 'insert into Table2 (' + @field + ') values (' + @value2 + ')'
    Exec @sqlString

You will also need different syntax to create the @sqlString depending on the datatype of @value2 (char vs. numeric vs. date etc...).

blindman

Thanks for the info Blindman.

I tried your suggestion however I forgot to mention that I am trying to do this within a stored procedure.

@value2 is a varchar type so I assume that I would still declare @sqlquery as varchar(500) or whatever length is needed.

When I try the execute statement it says: Could not find stored procedure 'insert into Table2 (ColumnName) values (xyz)'.

Is there something that I might be missing?

Any extra help you could provide would be great.

I have also tried sp_executesql but couldn't quite understand how it worked.

Thanks in advance

Provided Answers: 1
    Sorry. Wrong syntax.

Exec (@sqlString)

blindman