Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Codepage Problems

I have problems with codepage conversion! when i insert data from a client (command window) in a database an read them again the german
    "umlaute" like ,, are not shown. the client and the server codepage is "850" !when i insert data then unset the db2codepage variable, db2terminate and connect again it works! But normally i should be able to insert and read again! Can somebody explain this??
    When i use the CLP or the Command Center it works!

Than you

Hi,

Can you please send more info about your operating system, db2 vesion, etc. You can also read Must Read before posting for more tips.

This question depends on db2 version and operating system you use. On Windows:
    - check the "chcp" command to see the current code page - to correct this see bellow,
    - on db2 v7.2 there is db2clp.ini file where the right code page must be provided,
    - see the Properties (right click on menu bar) and the the Font tab: select TT Lucida Console font.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

I use DB2 Version 7.1.0.77
    the chcp command returns Codepage 850
    The described font type doesn't bring a change!

Hi,

According to the IBM DB2 support page you have DB2 version 7 fixpack 9.

Try this:
    1. Start the Command Window.
    2. Enter the command: notepad db2clp.bat
    3. Go to the line "chcp" and change the Windows code page e.g. 1250.
    4. Save the file.
    5. Close all opened "Command Window" windows.
    6. Start the Command Window and try again with command "chcp".
    7. Now this chcp command should return the windows code page e.g. 1250.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Sorry,
    I tried alle the described steps before I decided to write to dbforums!
    Perhaps ta reason for such problems could be the System! I use Windows 2000! A collegue using Windows XP doesn't need to terminate db2! He only has the "standard" problem, that query a db with a different codepage it doesn't work anyway!

Hi,

There is nothing wrong with operating system type. I use bouth Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP and I have no code page problems.

It is very important, that you have correct Regional Settings (this is Windows settings). You probably need "German" regional settings. Check this up.

On computer where database server is installed the same Regional Settings are required. It is recomended that you adjust regional settings before you install the database product.

Also check the database code page. On Command Window type the command:
    db2 get db cfg for database_name | find "code page"

Above code page has to be "german code page".

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

I tried to change the font type of the command window on both systems. On Windows 2000 nothing changed! But on Windows XP after changing the type I get the letters in the right way!! That's great!
    Do you know why there is a difference between the two operating systems?

Now it works! I changed the db2clp.bat installed on Windows 2000 to the Windows XP values and after that i changed the font type!

Thank you very much!

If have another Codepage question! When I set the db2codepage variable in Client Command Window, which codepages are available?
    Are these the pages of the client operating system? Or the same available in db2 sever? And how do i get a list or a directory of codepages installed on db2 server?

I hope you understand the question!

Thanks!

Hi,

Do you need multiple code pages or only the German code page?

Grofaty

At first german codepages would be enough! How do i get information about the available pages

Hi,

I don't know if this helps, but if you have requirement to have multiple code pages why don't you use the Unicode (UTF-8) code page system.

You can create the database with Control Center | Create | Database Using Wizard. On Region tab select Code set = UTF-8.

I haven't tested this, but according to the teory the unicode system should solve the multi code pages problem.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Thank you! I have to write a "report" about the available Codepages for my university. Therefore i need a list or a directory in db2 where I find the pages!

Hi,

Did you solve your problem? Do you need any help?

Grofaty

The queries and so on work, but uo to now, i have not found a directory or a list where i can see the installed and available pages. Do you have an advice?